Deal is posted to SIGNED!, will add the link when it is visible here.
2022 Outback Limited XT - a proper wagon with a IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating, whose VIN proudly begins with the #4, and has plenty of room to shuttle my dog back and forth to doggy daycare.
I was eligible for VIP pricing, not through ASPCA, but that should not matter. South of LA, I found zero dealers who would honor VIP at all, but one local Subaru dealer would (in lieu of VIP) offer at MSRP with no hard-adds. It had a pre-installed KARR alarm that would be disabled, no charge, I didn’t want a car whose wiring harness was molested by a third-party, I asked about tagging an inbound to NOT get an alarm installed, they never got back to me. There is at least one dealer in the LH Marketplace offering Subarus at MSRP with a KARR Alarm (aka Blessings), which is also not a bad deal in this market, but not what I was looking for.
Subaru of Sherman Oaks was the only dealer I found who would honor VIP pricing. I did have to contact SOA and ask them to reassign and reissue my VIP certificate to their dealership - when you first generate one, Subaru suggests just choosing your local dealer since they all should offer VIP pricing (LOL). They had one in-stock in a color combo I wasn’t as hot about, they allowed me to tag this inbound, which wasn’t supposed to arrive for 2 more weeks. I’m glad it showed up on Friday, I suspect the MF and special financing rates will be higher after July 1st, but we’ll see. I can’t say enough good things about Subaru of Sherman Oaks: Sales Manager, Internet Sales Team (Carson and Tamaz), and the Finance Manager (Glen) were some of the best I’ve ever dealt with.
MSRP $38,695 - full tank of gas INCLUDED (!!!)
Ext. Auto Dimming Mirror $282
Rear Bumper Cover $165
All-Weather Floor Liners $141
Rear Seat Back Protector $122
LED Dome Light Upgrade $50
Cash Price $37,835 (before taxes and fees)
These also include Maintenance for 2 yr/24k Miles at 6k intervals, Synthetic Oil, at no charge, which was news to me.
Breaking a 7 lease streak, I financed for 72 months at 2.9% and only applied the $500 deposit toward the deal. Had a long talk with the Finance Manager: the lease residual is good (IIRC 64% at 36/10) but the MF is .0019 (4.56%).
Peace of Mind
- Even though I don’t plan to keep this car for the entire term, I did add the 6 yr/80k Subaru Gold Plus warranty, $100 deductible, cancellable (pro-rated) or transferrable ($70) $1,295. I have terrible luck, it has a turbo and the Infotainment screen is $5,800 (part only). If the car market in 2025 is the way it is now, and I had leased this car, I would be buying-out the lease and keeping it beyond the warranty. Not a decision that’s right for everyone, I’m good with it.
- Outside the deal, I also added the 3yr STARLINK Security Plus upgrade (middle tier) for $75
Buying a car more than 120 miles from home presents a few logistical challenges, all of which were easily solved with time and money:
- Uber to train station $39.44 + 10.56 tip
- Business Class train ticket to LA $42
- Uber from Union Station to dealer $32.02 (after 20% discount) + $7.98 tip
- 2 nights dog boarding (train left before they opened, I didn’t get home until after they closed) $130
- A stop in Irvine at Stonefire Grill for salad, pizza, and breadsticks to-go $50 with tip
- Total $312
Misc Subaru Administrivia
There are some Outback forum reports about flat spots in the pedal, which I did notice on the long drive home. Recommend calibrating the throttle response:
Pair your car with your home wifi and check for infotainment updates - I had none. After that, since the built-in navigation uses TomTom map data, there are updates for every state/country that you can download for free from within the infotainment, or it will show your license key to download those from the Internet, put them on a thumb drive, and install manually.
Order your free Subaru Badge of Ownership
There are numerous rumors about Subarus and the undesired accessories/behaviors they include. You can learn more #facts about them here
July 14 2022 Update
OEM accessories / as delivered
- Ext. Auto Dimming Mirror
- Rear Bumper Cover
- All-Weather Floor Liners
- Rear Seat Back Protector
- LED Dome Light Upgrade - suspect it is 4000k
Weathertech Sun shade - perfect fit
Diode Dynamics HP5 (92 Lumens) Warm White (3000k) LED trunk light replacement, which is much brighter. Comes in colors and twice as many lumens if your rods and cones demand more stimulation
iJDMTOY (2) Black Leather Extra Long Car Side Pocket Organizers, so thanks to whomever recommended those. Coming out of a 2019 XC60, the cabin storage is lacking — these help.
Ordered two intake screens from VoltScreen
Proclip. I tried another vent mount that would probably be great in another car, doesn’t fit. Proclip is stable/solid and I love the placement. Debated that in Volvo but ended up with passenger vent.
- lot of stickers arrived. Waiting for Badge of Ownership first
- TomTom maps updated to latest by USB
chvvkumar's 2020 Subaru Outback: Gen6 (2020/2021) Subaru Outback Firmware Updates
- all tires inflated to 35 psi (delivered 38/36 which was )
- Rano S9 tint