Finally, settled in for few months - got CPO/used 2016 Tesla Model S 70

The usual suspects in terms of issues.

1. Door handle failures. It seemed like the moment one got fixed and I got the car back, a different one would fail within a month. By the time I sold the car all handles were replaced once and the driver handle was replaced twice.
  2. Touchscreen started to show yellowing in the borders of the screen. Whole screen was replaced. Around two months later the new touchscreen died.
  3. Took a road trip with my car only to find that it would never start charging. Logistical nightmare with having a loaner from San Diego, my car being moved up to the Costa Mesa repair center, and after repairs were finished not letting me return the loaner to the Costa Mesa shop but expecting me to drive the loaner back down to the Miramar location.

I’m sorry to hear that - i wonder if it’s a lemon. it is really horrible and I’d be pissed off as well. #3 is pretty bad. I hope they took care of you, but based on your reaction - probably not. If you had time, I’d write a few letters - but not count on it. I’d switch too if I had those things happen to me - not really enough time to deal with this stuff.

What’s your monthly Payment? Is it a lease? Terms?

It’s not a lease. Used car apr was between 3.5 apr from credit union but longer paperwork and 4 something frontesla.

Yes, credit unions take forever. Was trying to get a mortgage from them and process is way too slow. And the amount of paperwork they want is insane. They want insurance declaration page from other properties, tax bill, etc. When mortgage statement was enough for pretty much any other bank. Oh and coops in NY tax and insurance is included in maintenance. They wanted proof of that, when every banker in NY knows this. If time is of essense stay away from CU in my opinion.

Good you got used warranty. I had a 2014 P85 and after 3 years and only 32k miles EVERYTHING started breaking. Major components. It was so bad the car was in the shop for a week every month the last 7 months I owned it before pulling the ripcord. In total over $30,000 in warranty repairs in that 7 month period. No way I was owning it out of warranty. Interior was trash. Tesla car to car quality has great variance. Hope you got a good one. Replaced it with a 530e M Sport and couldn’t be happier even though the performance isn’t as good.

Didn’t see it mentioned above but also something Tesla CPO buyers should be aware of. Tesla uses their CPO cars as service loaners until they sell. When my car was in the shop the P85D service loaner I was given and drove haaaard was listed on the CPO site. Many threads about this on TMC.

Congrats on the model s! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. I got my model 3 back in March and like you said can’t belive I even considered another car. For those still on the fence, I highly recommend the model 3. For 50k you can get 310 mile range and for 5k more you get autopilot 2.5 which now has autopilot by navigation. It’s pretty amazing. If you’ve never tried it before go for a test drive!

1 Like