Federal EV tax credit overhaul

They gave the option of converting the fisker pre-order with a refundable deposit to a binding purchase agreement with a non-refundable deposit prior to the enactment of the IRA.

If that binding purchase agreement satisfies the transition rule is dependent on state law.

3 Likes

I read somewhere on the “internet” it had to be a 5% deposit? I accepted whatever and I’ll let them figure it out but I don’t feel confident we will get the tax credit.

In the updated guidelines they referenced 5% as a significant deposit so it seems that anything below that is sort of a gray area

2 Likes

The Irs made a statement that basically said this:

“The only thing that matters is what your state defines as a binding contract. Generally, 5% deposit counts, but the only thing that actually matters is what your state defines as a bunding contract” and a bunch of people read that as “omg has to be 5%!”

I believe most of the new tax credit crap is gray.

I never took the 5% to be serious anyway, Fisker said hey sign this, your deposit is non refundable and Fisker will figure out the rest. I’m not losing much this way, and hopefully they do figure it out.
Most of these companies will figure out the loopholes, even Ford. They know how to work the system more than we do.

It’ll make more sense as time goes on and consumer options start forming. As a consumer, it sucks to live in these times bc it will take awhile before the dust settles.

Most of what is going on doesn’t make sense unless you focus on the bigger picture. The east dominates the EV supply chain and this is of concern for the US because it adversely affects their influence capacity. With shifts in global order that continue to unload with a bang, radical policies such as the Inflation Reduction Act will pass to make sure these shifts fall in US’s favor. Think of it as a contest for clout that will shape the future of geopolitics. And the EV market is important because it can alter (form, strengthen, etc) alliances. Remember that relationships are not built on money alone it’s also meshed with political, cultural, diplomatic and military relations (ie: transatlantic)

1 Like

Very well said, I agree the EV market will be forced upon us, If it isn’t already. The tax credits in these forums are all gonna be about trying to find the loopholes.
We should probably start a “2023 tax credit loophole” part 1 thread.

1 Like

It’s going to be very slim pickings next year. @mllcb42 provided data a few weeks back about how the feds expect very few cars to qualify in 2023.

All of my last 3 cars were contracted with 0 DAS. I don’t think the 5% rule makes any sense. In fact, my Ford Mach-E Purchase was contracted on 8/10, and taken delivery on 8/17. I didn’t put 5% down

Mach E has no issues as it is good before and after the IRA

Now try that on a ID4, no deposit, no rebate. How to prove it was non refundable.

2 Likes

Theres no requirement the deposit has to be non-refundable unless your state specifically requires that.

1 Like

Thats because its a generalization and not a rule

1 Like

Really you can say a No Deposit is a 'Non Refundable Deposit?

Im saying the only thing that matters is state law of what a binding contract is. That doesnt necessarily mean a deposit is required or that it must be non-refundable, unless that specific state law requires it to be.

You are going too general, I’m talking about a Specific Order for a Specific Car to answer the previous post.

OP had a MachE so the argument of ‘Non Refundable Deposit’ is moot. it doesn’t matter since the MachE is made in the USA. State rules don’t apply nor do the Federal Guidelines since it is the same before 8/16 and after 8/16.

I then said if you put an Order with No Deposit on a ID4, proving you had a ‘non refundable order’ on an order you didn’t put anything on, would be fun to prove.

It wouldnt be hard to prove at all. If you had a binding purchase agreement that met the state definition, you’d have all the proof you needed.

Your binding purchase agreement either meets your state law requirements or it doesn’t.

In some states that may mean a non-refundable deposit, in others it doesnt.

2 Likes

If you say so, but then we don’t know any answers until next year.

I dont say so. The IRS says so. Theyve clearly stated that the definition of what a binding purchase agreement is is defined by the relevant state law.

2 Likes

The conventional wisdom is that in California, a deposit on a car is always refundable until you take possession of the car. So that would mean that folks in California are SOL on this issue.

1 Like