Federal EV tax credit overhaul

This feels kinda like like the scramble around PPP rules in 2020 where it was very unclear at first what expenses exactly would be forgiven and how to document them. In the end, almost no documentation was needed, and all was forgiven - at least for the smaller loans.

3 Likes

But do you think a signed Purchase Order even qualifies as a contract?

Of course it can. Just put the legalese needed into the contract that it’s binding under law

Tax system is voluntary. Onky way it’s disallowed is if you’re audited and can’t prove it was under contract by the date signed.

If I was a w2 employee I would adjust my withholding so the 7500 doesn’t come out of my check personally. Instead of waiting for a refund.

4 Likes

But Jeep folks hoping for $7500 ccr are in still in limbo, correct?

Just talked to local Kia dealer who received the letter. He said today is the last day they are issuing contracts that will guarantee the federal tax credit for any incoming EV6s. Their cutoff is end of business today.

3 Likes

I have a red Kia ev6 gtline for $3000 over(my fee included). Purchase order can be dated and signed today for tax credit eligibility.

58,700 msrp 175 doc fee

Jim
215-359-6836

Called like 20 dealers not much left out there!

2 Likes

Inbound or on the lot?

Inbound on all these left. Prob early sept

1 Like

Why are you on the east coast man :frowning:

1 Like

Drive it home!

Its a 42 hour drive :(. Or $2k shipping

1 Like

Whew, damn. For that amount of driving, I think I would pay the buck for shipping. Unless, I didn’t mind making several days out of it…sightseeing on the return trip, etc.

More like 52 hours with all the re-charging stops :joy:

6 Likes

MachEs are made in North America. Does the transition rule still applies? I thought North American made cars are eligible for tax credit if you take delivery before year end regardless of binding purchase agreement.

"Car-industry lobbyists say meeting the new requirements on batteries could take years to achieve. "

“Only about 15% of electric-vehicle minerals are extracted or processed in the U.S. or by its free-trade partners…”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/auto-makers-ask-congress-for-easier-path-to-electric-vehicle-tax-break-11659614402

1 Like

When geriatrics rule the world…

4 Likes

Just boomer things.

1 Like

EVs eligible for tax credit after Biden signs tomorrow:
Teslas, Rivians, Chevy Bolts, Ford Mach-Es and Lightnings, Nissan Leafs, VW I.D.4s … am I missing any other current EV under 80k that is made in North America?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/hybrids-evs/electric-vehicles-that-qualify-for-new-ev-tax-credit-a9310530660/

Good run down here.

Also some phevs like our favorite Jeep https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/wdjax3/unofficial_2023_us_federal_clean_vehicle_tax/
Though not sure if this chart is still accurate.

2 Likes

Tesla and GM are not getting the tax credit until 1/1/23 since the lifting of 200k limit is not effective until then.

BMW 330e and X5 45e are also made in North America thus still eligible for the credit until 1/1/23 but it is TBD if they can clear the mineral and component sourcing criteria for eligibility beyond this year.

edit: 330e and X5 45e might lose the tax credit after the secretary gives the guidance and before 1/1/23 if they don’t meet the sourcing criteria

1 Like