Federal EV tax credit overhaul

All that’s gonna do is encourage manufacturers to keep packs small where they can get away with it.

Well not really. The minimum pack size for the full credit currently is 16 kWh. The smallest pack size on the market right now is about 32 kWh (Mazda MX-30). Thus the consumer range requirements dictate pack size more so than the credit as is.

Now it’s a different story for PHEV but not sure how they’re treated in the new bill and to some degree it’s more an issue of range requirements anyway.

1 Like

Are we sure about this? It sounded to me like once this is signed it would go into effect immediately for manufacturers that are currently still under the 200k threshold.

For manufacturers that have already hit the phase out period it would restart in 2023.

There is langauge describing if a binding contract has been signed, from 2022 until the bill goes into effect, there may be the option to apply the old tax credit rules. I dont know if any of these refilundable deposits will count towards that.

20 (l) TRANSITION RULE.—Solely for purposes of the
21 application of section 30D of the Internal Revenue Code
22 of 1986, in the case of a taxpayer that—
23 (1) after December 31, 2021, and before the
24 date of enactment of this Act, purchased, or entered
25 into a written binding contract to purchase, a new
ERN22335 9K1 S.L.C.
1 qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as de2 fined in section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue
3 Code of 1986, as in effect on the day before the date
4 of enactment of this Act), and
5 (2) placed such vehicle in service on or after the
6 date of enactment of this Act,
7 such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form
8 and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Sec9 retary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle as
10 having been placed in service on the day before the date
11 of enactment of this Act.

Yeah, I could be totally wrong on this but the way I was interpreting, to qualify for the current “old” credit, you just need to sign the sales agreement before Biden signs the new bill into law. The car can be put in service at a later date as long as the sales agreement has been signed before the new law is in place. I am not a lawyer or CPA though so I am reserving my right to be absolutely wrong on this :slight_smile:

Where do you see that tax year 22 purchases are still under the current program rules?

You would sign a sales agreement WITHOUT taking the car of the lot (aka Special Order)? Wow that has to be illegal in several states.

Page 385-386:

(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in paragraphs (2), (3), (4), and (5), the amendments made
by this section shall apply to vehicles placed in service after December 31, 2022.

1 Like

I have no idea about the state laws but a lot of EVs (including models from legacy manufacturers) require collecting a deposit upfront and a long wait time thereafter. I am sure their legal departments can update these deposit arrangements to fit the requirements of this new bill to give people an out to benefit from the more lax current “old” law.

That’s not a sales agreement, under current rules a Dealer can sell your ‘deposited car’ to someone else. You just put a deposit, not a sales agreement.

Income limits are very low -.-

Sounds like I need to accept all my EV orders this year

1 Like

Say what you want about the bill but the income limits only cut off the top 4% of households. Not going to get much political outrage about that.

Caveat: These type of nationwide income limits exist throughout the federal government and discriminate against affluent high cost of living areas. It’s insanity that the cut off for the credit is the same in Arlington, TN as Arlington, VA. But alas, that’s how every federal income restriction works.

5 Likes

That is how they got Manchin onboard. Easier sell to his WV voters than Green New Deal.

1 Like

If they insist on collecting more money from citizens. It should go 100% to infrastructure. Like you said EV demand is just fine, there are wait list for almost all EV’s.

2 Likes

“Income limits are very low”

It’s $350k.

I’ve taken advantage of the EV credits on a few cars but I’ve always thought they were grossly misappropriated. Gov subsidizing the purchase of a six-digit porsche is just silly.

5 Likes

Hertz renting Teslæ to Uber drivers has severely FUBAR the local supercharger situation. Wait till they start renting them i4’s and Polestars. :rofl:

Like you and I have said. EV demand is just fine but the infrastructure can’t handle it.

2 Likes

So for a family with joint filers, $41k AGI reduction through 401k withholdings and $7k max on HSA, absolute max gross income to make the EV tax credit work would be just under $350k.

1 Like

Hence the MSRP limits make sense.

3 Likes

Average income of Tesla driver is something like $180K. So this is the lower and middle classes subsidizing the upper middle class to buy cool cars.

LOL. Well played Manchin, well played. The coal miners making $60K in your state are going to benefit from this a ton, I’m sure.

Goes to show they are ALL corrupt and give zero f***s about the people they represent.

I’ll take advantage of this though. For once I am eligible for a govt money give away program. Might as well use it.

2 Likes

Are the Uber drivers really using the super chargers. If so, that would be finding a way to make an already bad economic choice even worse.

Only economic advantage of a Tesla over a much cheaper car when driving for Uber is the fuel savings. Those savings largely disappear if you are charging at 30 cents a kilowatt hour or whatever the current rate is in Texas.

Only someone getting a paycheck for the govt would say spending $400B (or whatever its) will reduce inflation. The inflation caused by the government spending $6 trillion.

2 Likes