Federal EV tax credit overhaul

Residual is 60% on 36/10. Crazy high MF, so without sales tax, and with acq fee and $599 dealer fee added I got to $184/month.for the cheapest LT.

Purely hypothetical of course since the $7500 tax credit is not being passed on atm.

So Just to Recap
Lease a

• VW
  • Audi
  • Jeep
  • Mercedes Benz

And get the $7500 incentive. (Or proper rebate amount)

Waiting for

• BMW
  • Kia
  • Hyundai
  • Chevy
  • Tesla? With the 20% reduction you don’t need to wait
  • Volvo
  • Polestar
  • Rivian
  • Mitsubishi (With their 1 vehicle)
  • (and lots of others that I forget)
    to complete the race.
2 Likes

Expect $7,500 blessings on pass through brands.

1 Like

Volvo and Mitsu

Those windows aren’t going to tint themselves, and what self-respecting person would drive a new electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid off the lot without pin striping and edge guard?

3 Likes

And dont forget the…Phantom Footprint

Ghost Boo GIF by Bismuto Estudio

Orange Pie GIF by Kyocera

4 Likes

I made a thread to try to track the lease loophole:

Still not sure why we are referring to a clause that specifically says it applies to leases as a “loophole”.

3 Likes

Does this mean as a small business owner, I could buy (not lease) any EV and claim the $7.5k tax credit under Section 45W? Couldn’t anyone just form an LLC to take advantage of this?

If it is used for a legitimate business purpose, yes, it would appear to be the case.

I would double check it with your cpa before filing that tax credit :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

You potentially could, if your LLC has $7,500 in federal income tax liability.

I believe so. Before the IRS guidance was issued, there were discussions of this with respect to Uber/Lyft drivers.

Yes, one should always do that before going off of what a random guy on the internet says

3 Likes

This video made me think of this thread:

https://www.tiktok.com/@ayye_pap/video/7167029357880593710

:joy:

We may have another overhaul incoming

President Maserati Manchin wants to amend the IRA to make 30D the battery sourcing requirement retroactive to January 1st, period.

2 Likes

As it stands now, how does the credit work? You fill out paperwork at purchase and then get the money as a credit when you file taxes?
Or does it come as a credit at the time of purchase as a reduction of the credit amount from the purchase price?

For 2023, it comes back on your taxes. Starting in 24, it can be transferred and applied up front.

1 Like

At least he’s proposing a bill to do it and not trying to overstep his authority by doing it through guidance.

1 Like

Although I doubt it will pass, if it does, will folks who are buying EVs after 12/31/2022 potentially not get the $7,500 credit they thought they were getting?

It’s definitely going to piss off a lot of people if it passes.