Federal $7500 EV credit

Thank you @forbs for the response. My monthly payment for the Ioniq is only about $125 per month because I made a large down payment - my total cost including down payment and all taxes over the course of 3 years is about $11.5K, so roughly $320 per month assuming zero down.

I really like the Ioniq EV, and would have leased one again, but they don’t make them as EVs any more. I would also be interested in a Hyundai Kona EV, but those are extremely difficult to find - it seems Hyundai is using all its EV manufacturing capacity for the Ioniq 5, which is a much more expensive car.

At present I believe a Nissan Leaf is probably cheaper than the Kia Niro, so that is what I am exploring, although open to other suggestions based on availability.

Thank you @Lumberjack627 for your response. I prefer a pure EV - not a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid. Only maintenance over my 3 year lease was tire rotation (low mileage due to Covid), and I am fortunate to get free charging at my employer, so minimal “fuel” cost for occasional charging at home.

Yes there were Federal tax credits on Hybrids.

The the 12v battery isn’t turning the wheels on anything larger than Hotwheels.

Not many options … lease a Leaf or buy out your leased Ioniq.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Goes GM get 200k per brand or 200k per company? I would have assumed Caddy to get its own 200k?

Per Manufacturer.

Up-to-date list here: IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

GM ran out because of these:

• Chevrolet Bolt 2017-2019, 2020
  • Chevrolet Volt 2011-2019
  • Cadillac CT6 Plug-In 2017-2018
  • Cadillac ELR 2014, 2016
  • Chevrolet Spark EV 2014-2016
1 Like

Is there a current list how far along the 200k mark is each manufacturer?

Depends on the dealer. I had one dealer insist every order is 20k over. Another lamented about how little allocation they would likely get - and that they would need to charge ADM.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

1 Like

There is not an official list, but there are a couple website that track. The OEMs have become increasingly cagey about sales numbers and breakdowns. Not long ago, all of them reported all their sales, every month, most with model breakouts. Some only report quarterly now.

Which is why I’ll say again: I am shocked GM hasn’t licensed the latest Volt platform to other OEMs who would milk it for the credit. It’s one of the best PHEV platforms out there.

The link I posted above get’s updated weekly I believe. Says last updated 5/11/22.

Also this - “IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule (Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Quarterly Sales).”

1 Like

Im really hoping I get my Mach-E before this expires…

Subsidiaries all organized as 1 company through GM, vs someone like VW where Bentley, Audi, etc, are their own company

1 Like

What happens with Kia/Hyundai/Genesis then?

No idea how they’re organized

It’s on the referenced page

Genesis is a subsidiary of Hyundai, both brands are running against the same 200k to phase-out.

Kia is its own company, Hyundai just have an ownership stake (think Saab/GM), so they get their own 200k before phase-out.

I see Polestar got pulled out from Volvo now that Geely “owns” neither, so they each get their own 200k before phase-out.

I’m glad this got merged into its own thread and the one about BBB was closed since the BBB version is not happening, at least not in the next year.

1 Like

It takes an income way above $40k to incur $7500 in tax liability.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Clarity/comments/ivwxyb/everything_you_ever_wanted_to_know_about_the_7500/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

The total tax line of your last 1040 might give you an idea how much of the Federal credit you can claim, assuming your 2022 income/deductions are similar. To your point, it’s not safe to assume based on just one’s income, and nobody at the dealership will be able to honestly advise you.