Every Major Airline’s ‘Customer of Size Policy,’ Broken Down In Detail

2 Likes

Alaska with the most reasonable policy. Pay for it then get it back if it ends up being free for them anyway.

Continuing the Off Ramp’s two year spread into every other site for cheapos (Slickdeals, Nerd Wallet, TravelZoo), we can just assume most of you are as obese as you are cheap (thanks Covid!) and may need to buy the adjacent seat.

What airlines charge the least if I don’t want to wear shoes on the plane? Let’s not exclude slobs here.

1 Like

The old Taco Bell before boarding no longer works!?!

1 Like

Two seats should entitle me to not just a seatbelt extender, but Gate Gourmet is replaced by Golden Coral for just moi

I hate food smell with a passion. I live for food, but I’m referring to the stale fast food in the car type smell… especially when you’re not the one eating.

How about the guy who HAS to get something from his bag or use the lavatory immediately after sitting down, while the rest are trying to board.

1 Like

Southwest does the same thing.

Why do people know this information?? Dare I ask. LOL

Isn’t this type of stuff important since it plays with the CG of an aircraft?

same policy for kids under 2, can buy extra seat and refund it if avail. Thats why.

1 Like

Ah gotcha.

How exactly does that work? I’m a well-versed traveler, but this is new to me. How would a seat be available (or become unavailable) if you had already booked the second seat?

When I traveled weekly, many many times on SW/WN 2013-2018 I talked to a lot of frequent flyers. I’m a 48 reg suit jacket (broad shoulders) and I’m only comfortable in 3-5 seats on a SW 737, so I focus on those. I remember before oversized flyer stuff like this was even discussed on Flyertalk (let alone Points Guy or TravelZoo) this was considered “a hack”, but for a long time you couldn’t do it yourself, an agent had to book it (the name on the res indicated to them it was a 2nd seat for the same passenger). I would often meet other big guys traveling who would tell me to buy my A list and a cheap ticket and squat on 2 seats. Except if the plane is full and you can possibly squeeze without 2 seats, they can put someone there and refund you or rebook you, which I have seen happened several times. So for the heinous years I flew cross country every week on WN, my $1100 ticket subsidized many many other people’s $79 seats so I could get one of the few seats I could tolerate.

The only thing I wanted from the airtran merger was 2 rows up front with guaranteed extra legroom and power outlets (otherwise no first class service/bathroom), I got probably 6 surveys before and after the merger where I said “charge me anything for that”, and they never perused it. Any flight over 2hrs now I fly an airline I can pick my actual seat.

1 Like

your pfp is real?

1 Like

Yes: a client made me do it. I’ve tried updating and run into an issue. Sleeves and jacket waist are tailored-in but shoulders :kissing_heart::ok_hand:t2:

More important than the extra seat policy for every airline: everyone needs a good tailor, at least in their home city (a backup elsewhere doesn’t hurt). Sometimes one ships their alterations, or finds a sale at a Brooks Brothers airport location :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I have a different problem.

I’m height-challenged. I’m > 6’1" and about 5’4" of that is legs.

The only two solutions on the table for me are a premium cabin or a bone saw.

2 Likes

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

It’s ultimately a box packing problem, but since most of the planning software like Sabre (or SW/UA’s POS) treats humans as shipping containers of the same size, as opposed to differently-sized boxes on a FedEx or UPS truck, whether we book our seats ahead of time or want to make FAA crash investigator’s jobs as difficult as possible. And as long as it’s mostly a race to the bottom, it won’t change.

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider myself obese, but I’m about 6’2" with a larger build. The majority of these planes are not built for larger people, nor taller people. Some aircraft seats barely have enough space as is. Put yourself on an international flight, trying to having supper on the tray table, after already flying for hours on end, and the bimbo in front of you decides to jack the seat back all of the way. Or my latest flight out of BNA to home, some guy behind me was lying down across the row… feet hanging in the aisle, and he kept banging the back of my seat. :man_facepalming:

One of my flights to (or from) Tahiti I whacked the back of her seat. I had had it. I’m 110% about being proper and everyone deserving their respect, but don’t take me for granted. :laughing:

2 Likes

Totally agree. But what good is buying and expecting a 2nd seat if contract of carriage doesn’t require the airline to furnish you with it?

2 Likes

I am offended by the term “person of size”.

Mods, can we change to “person of hearty appetite”?

1 Like

Shall we use the term ‘horizontally challenged’? :laughing:

1 Like