EV premature tire wear?

That’s my hunch as well. There are five run-flat tires from three manufacturers for the EQS in my size 265/40/21. From what I’m seeing online and talking to random EQ owners in terms of wear: Goodyear is slightly better than Pirreli which is slightly better than my Bridgestone.

I’m the OP, lol! Load rating has nothing to do with tread wear, it only shows how much weight the tire can support. The tread wear indicator, a separate rating, is wildly inconsistent between manufacturers to the point that it’s absolutely useless.

Not really, some people swear by strong regen while some claim that it makes tire wear worse as there are two conflicting forces in play. All I know is that I use intelligent setting on freeway and strong/intelligent mix in the city and my brakes are in their original unmolested condition while the tires are on their way out.

Sadly, this is exactly what Bridgestone did with the LS100. There are about half a dozen flavors of this tire including the one that’s MBZ MO. Given how little all EQS sedan tires last, I’m inclined to believe that MBZ dictated what it wanted in those tires to the manufacturers - range and noise suppression - without any concern for tread wear.

Turanza EV doesn’t come in my size, Bridgestone clearly isn’t rushing to put it on the tire chewing EQS while offering 50K warranty. One common comment jumps out in the early Turanza EV reviews is that this tire is very narrow to the point that it provides absolutely no rim protection. Clearly, that was designed for efficiency.

From your lips… I mean keyboard… to the MBZ executive offices!

My i4 35 eats tires like nobody’s business

4200 miles
7/32 in front
6/32 in back

Yikes, timing is everything - I was actually in the middle of reading the specs and reviews on i4 35. There goes that option then, lol!

What tires do you have on yours? Did you measure or confirm the tread depth yourself?

We have @hedgefund here who’s got same EQS with same tires as mine, thought it was him for a sec. Would be cool to have feedback from someone with multiple EVs in the household.

I went to America’s Tire to get it measured.

Tires are stock OEM Bridgestone Turanzas

Just measured my EQS450 4Matic sedan out of curiosity. Leased it as an ex-loaner with 3800 miles on it, I have since added another 500 miles or so. Fronts are doing great, about 8/32 left. Rear tires are down to 4/32 or just over 3/32 depending on the part of the thread I measure. I imagine the loaner miles were not gentle, lots of people floored the car and with traction mainly going to the rear, I expected the rear tires to have lower depth but not to the point of needing replacement at 4.3k miles.

Anyone successfully managed to get a warranty claim approved with the tire manufacturer? I have the all-season Goodyear tires on 20 inch wheels…

Not specifically for an EV, but I have had good success with going into Discount Tire (America Tire in some places), and having them file the claim on my behalf. They can get them on the phone quickly and get a discount based on tread and current miles. I would give them a shot if you have one around you.

1 Like

Do you have run-flats or regular? Seems like run-flats are the ones wearing out fastest. Good luck with the claim, let us know how it goes.

I tried to reach out to MBZ Premier Support and Bridgestone, waste of time so far! MBZ rep insisted that it had to be a defect for them to cover. Apparently, MBZ didn’t believe in design flaws, they are perfect, lol!

BTW, talked to a guy with a 450+ sedan at EA station last night. He’s got 16,700 mi on the original Goodyear non -run-flats that he never rotated. He’s at about 5-6 mm or 6-7/32. He said that he does a lot freeway driving but almost always in heavy traffic. Now, the kicker was that he traded in his S580 and ate $8K of negative equity after one year. That S580 was a tire chewer that destroyed run-flats. Likes his 450+ much better. Go figure!

That’s what Bridgestone instructed me to do but flat out refused to disclose their formula for warranty reimbursement. Not that I’m anxious to replace their garbage tire with the same garbage… They trust America’s Tire over MBZ dealer for tire tread measurements for one simple reason: those guys are trained to find problems and reject warranty claims (per AT salesperson’s admission).

With the sole focus on wear, are you otherwise satisfied with the range and comfort of your current EQ tires? I’m not sure you will find a perfect EV tire.

Mostly yes. One notable exception besides extreme wear is the mess created by CalTrans on miles and miles of the 101 freeway: they shifted the lanes by anywhere from 1 to 2 f to 3 feet and scraped off the lane markings leaving grooves in every lane. Those grooves cause insane amount of noise in an EV, not quite as bad in ICE cars with the engine noise. Hard to know how much noise can be attributed to run-flats though.

The convo with the guy from last night got me thinking if I’m adventurous enough to risk putting non-runflat tires on a car without a spare or even a 12V outlet to use a tire inflator. Tempting though as I would take mine off and save for the return. All I’d need then would be a set to last me about 10K.

EQE 350 Suv 4 Wheel Drive… Cooper 20 inch regular tires are 6/32 at 5200 miles

Run-flats? Sedan or SUV? RWD or 4wd? Did they start out at 9 or 10/32nds? Thanks

My discount tire has been easy to work with. I was also not required to get the same brand of tire that I had. I had Pirelli tires and got the approved amount discounted from the new set.

1 Like

Also, did you ask MBZ for that goodwill set? What was their response to the extreme tire wear?

Yes, the moron in the Premier Maybach/EQS support insisted that it’s gotta be defective for them to cover it. Don’t think he knew what goodwill meant. I requested escalation which he refused claiming that he addressed my issue. I said that I had more issues that I was no longer willing to discuss with him including his unprofessional conduct giving him no choice but to agree to escalate. That was Friday pm, no follow-up today. BTW, called Premier Support twice: hung up after about 35 minutes of elevator music the first time, got the moron with an attitude after 42 minutes the next time, so not very anxious to call again.

Try emailing either or both of these two if you want the best chances of eliciting a response:

Jay Schmid
General Manager, After Sales
jay.schmid@mbusa.com

Britta Seeger
Head of Marketing & Sales
britta.seeger@mercedes-benz.com

2 Likes

Regular tires, 4WD Suv. Not sure the starting point.

You can look it up on Tire Rack to help you figure out how long your tires should last. Look under specs for your tire.