Donation Solicitation and Possible subscription to Blackbook

I do love my Reserve. Chase UR are super valuable especially with transfer partners. Is there a black book benefit I don’t know about?

i wish. that would be an amazing benefit. did u price match the samsung s8+ price mistake yesterday?
@dukez

Did you make more than 10,000$??

Ha, I didn’t. I’m not at my max benefit limit on the card for the year, but I’m trying not to abuse it too hard and risk my relationship with Chase. And I’m an iPhone guy :slight_smile:

What is the purpose of the blackbook?

basically dealers use it as a guide for car values. it’s their most trusted outside 3rd party source if they’re not sure about the value of a car.

@bvman

LOL [20 chars…]

i don’t think a lexus dealer would be familiar with the going rates on a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6

In Chicago dealers don’t use it. They use historical sales data from Mannheim auto auctions, I know its the same for dealers in a few other states as well. They use it for figuring out max advance from a lender, not for trade in values though. Again thats the Chicagoland market.

They use black book on new cars?

You’re kidding right?

No that’s 99% of markets. You’re right on the dime here.

“when they need to determine/look up…” sounds better

i never said they use blackbook for the value of a new car. i said they use blackbook for tradeins. It’s useful for buyers of new cars because Blackbook aggregates the info from “different sources” for aggregate median sales prices.

Isn’t that referencing buying black book for new cars?

1 Like

you’re saying dealers use blackbook for the values on new cars? im saying buyers can use blackbook for datapoints on new cars.

Why would they need data points?

They have the internal tools from the OEM…

I think it’s an interesting idea but you’re not going to get 380 in value from it

i don’t think you’re getting me. WE as buyers don’t have access to those OEM tools. Blackbook compiles the data as an outsider as well but with trained analysts gathering info from auctions, dealers, etc I don’t know where they get their info from.

But supposedly they get closer to the truth than anyone else.

List of all Data sources: http://www.vauto.com/about/data-sources/

Correct I’m not getting you.

I just don’t understand the point of wanting black book.

Stores pretty much offer wholesale price on trade ins - it’s not like they’re burying you 3k under or so.

Knowing the auction value isn’t going to help when they write the checks.

Let me ask you this - how would you use this data? Can you give an example?

I think many people, like me are having a hard time seeing the value.

Not a single dealer I know of or have visited uses black book. Sure they show customers when the number is safe and in their favor.

Dealers want to be able to dump a loser at an auction when it has aged out so they look at the lowest price a car auctioned at Mannheim and thats how they figure the trade in value.

Black book is great for figuring out what a lender may advance (loan amount minus down payment)

However, Mannheim has a paid subscription that most dealers use. That may be available to the public as well, something worth looking into more then black book I believe.