Does transfer from ny to ny get retaxed

I’m taking over a lease on a Jeep gladiator from NY,
Do I have to pay sales tax on top of what was paid if I’m transferring it to NY?
This is the email I got from TEACHERSFCU

Yes it does

So what does that email mean?

That’s it not up them because NYS charges sales tax on leases all over again every time lease is transferred

What if I transfer from ny to nj instead?

NJ has their own rules which I’m not familiar with. My brother did a bmw transfer in NY and taxes had to be paid again at the time of new registration.

How can I find out about NJ?

The email said they will provide you with proof that NYS taxes were paid, and therefore this can be presented to the DMV to show that no further taxes are due.

So then I won’t be taxed again?

That’s not what I said. YOU can present this to the DMV but THEY may not accept it… To me it’s a 40% chance no tax and 60% more tax situation

This has been discussed hundreds of times here…

NY will tax you again . So if the payment is already $300 with tax, you’re payment will be $300 + tax

NY double taxes.

In NJ it’s different. NJ to NJ doesn’t get taxed again but if I take over a lease from NY (I’m in NJ) I’ll pay tax again .

When I transferred my BMW, BMWFS charged the transferee the taxes to their BMWFS account.

What state to what state?

Ny to ny 2020020202002

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.