Does Florida Have Excise/Property Tax? Just Triple Confirming

Thank you!

@Bacons_C.C I appreciate your reply already. I just need to triple confirm :slight_smile:

Nope, nothing, just sales tax on the monthly payment. Most places barely have any property taxes, too (and it shows, haha). My parents only pay $1,200 in property taxes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you!

I have 3 of my most trusted Florida resources all confirming the same thing.

Thank you @mani_is_kool, @Bacons_C.C, and @AP919

We can close! Del Boca Vista Phase 3!

3 Likes

However, If you takeover a lease from someone from a different state, you may receive a bill to pay the property tax to that particular state where the lease initiated.

Happened to a friend of mine, where he assumed a lease from CT / PA where he received a nice $500 letter from the state that it was still his responsibility.

In Florida? Where the hell do they live? I pay $8K a year in Broward.

Also Broward. :slight_smile:

Depends on when it was purchased. Could be easily a couple decades ago maybe. Also the size. But yes, for people who have bought in the last 5 years, taxes are pretty high.

We bought 4 years ago 3370 square feet in Coral Springs.

Sikes. Must be a new development. Are you subject to CDD ?

It’s not, house was built in 91 and that is with homestead! No CCD

Pa has no personal pro tax. Must have been CT. We should start a thread with all the states that have it. I had a few clients that were upset I didn’t include personal property tax in the lease, that’s why I now have a disclaimer on my thread

Admittedly, it helps that the house is valued at next to nothing (Plantation).

Old Temple Terrace, FL… 1750 sq. ft. under air, $250k market value, $2300 in taxes. No, CDD, no HOA.

Weird. ~2% is way higher than what I’ve been seeing when looking at houses in FL lately, but I’ve only been looking in Brevard county.

Brevard definitely isn’t Broward!

Sure, it helps that my parents bought this house more than 4 years ago, but the rate is still greatly different between Coral Springs and Plantation, apparently.

1 Like

Still surprises me to see 2% vs the .6ish% numbers I’ve seen. That’s a big delta

Red county vs blue. They escape the north east, one reason is high taxes, then bring their ideologies with them. Not trying to get political but in Florida this is 100% accurate.

My taxes in Fort Lauderdale have increased 500% in 8 years. Yes, property values went up but millage is crazy there.

1 Like

Agree 100% and I try to fight it at the local level. Our taxes just went up $300 a year because the city took at a $250 million note to build some parks.

However despite all that I get WAY more bang for my buck down here then I could in the northeast and no income tax helps off set some of the higher property tax.

I paid $475K for a 3300 square foot house on a lake with a pool, it’s worth around $550 now. My parents house I grew up in costs around $500 grand now and it’s 1600 square feet.

I got a 2br 1000 sqft house in a great area for 150k in 2012. Put maybe 30k into it and it’s worth 650! That’s great but I wasn’t expecting to pay 700/mo in property taxes. That 650 is imaginary until I sell. The taxes are very real. Almost every house on my block has turned over twice in that 8 years. The older people on fixed incomes are pushed out and the houses are all mostly Airbnb’s. I had to start renting mine on Airbnb now to cover the taxes and don’t get me started on the insurance! I do plan to move down there very soon for the tax advantages and weather though.

1 Like