Does buying a Bolt $19,000 off MSRP makes sense?

Ok, so do the math of how much it will cost to finance over 3 years versus your expected resale value, compare it to the cost of leasing, and decide based on that. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Expected resale value is the tricky part, seems like these cars lose a lot of value.

Wonder if someone recently sold a Bolt to Carvana/Vroom and how much they got?

The resale value of a Bolt right now is almost totally irrelevant to what it will be in 2024. The Bolt is a unique vehicle and the used market right now is completely abnormal. This isn’t a Civic or RAV4 with decades of historically stable residual values to look at.

Do the simple part first and let us know what the numbers look like.

So how should I get the expected resale value in 3 years? From the residual?

Ask yourself: would you buy a used Chevy Bolt that is three years old?

2 Likes

You can certainly start there. What’s the delta on total cost assuming you can sell it for the lease rv at the end? You can then make some comparisons if the selling price is lower and see how it compares.

1 Like

Was typing exactly this lol.

@bar read this post:

1 Like

Basic question, RV is from MSRP?
Meaning if MSRP is $40k and RV 50%, so expected resale value is 20k?

Yes… you may want to start at Leasing 101 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl:
But in that case it must make sense cause we’re talking about a 40k car which I can get for 19k off MSRP. I might be missing something basic.

What is your total cost of ownership in both situations?

2 Likes

There’s a thread in shared deals of someone who bought a Bolt, IIRC his OTD cost was below the lease residual value.

IMO it’s fairly common for buying/financing to make more sense financially than leasing.

I wish… My OTD comes out to 26.5k

It’s not a $40K car. GM has sold several hundred thousands Bolts, do you think a single one sold for $40K?

Besides, the RV that GM assumes has no bearing on the resale value you’ll be able to achieve. Do not use lease RV for ownership resale assumptions

So what’s the way to assume resale value? KBB?

Short answer is don’t buy an EV. All the cheap 2020-21 leases will be returned to flood the market in 3 years and/or cheap leases will continue to demotivate anyone from buying used.

Lease a Bolt, Leaf, etc whatever is the best deal for your personal situation given what rebates you qualify for.

3 Likes

Makes sense, appreciate your reply. The OTD price isn’t that amazing, I’ll pass on it.

Depends on what you value. I’d jump on a boring corolla hatch for $20k if the intent is to keep something longterm but thats just me

1 Like

From what I see on swapalease? Yes.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.