Does a 24/10 lease on new vehicle ever make sense

I started comparing my lease sheet last night when I was bored. Yeah don’t ask. My 2020 Bmw m340 lease is 614 for 36/10 .00145 mf and 712 for 24/10 .00165. First I need to confirm if that 24/10 mf is base or not. But the residual on the 24/10 is 67 percent which seems to help the payment. 36 months will cost me 22100 dollars. 24 month lease assuming that mf is correct and not lower will cost 17088. So about a 5000 difference for the one year. I would loveeeeee to get a new car in two years. But financially do you think this is a smart move? Probably save me on tires but I’m in ny so registration won’t come into play like in other states. Basically what I’m asking is the 5k for an extra year such a good deal I should take the extra year? I’d like to get into a m in a few years w awd if a good deal can be made and I just don’t want to get bored by the two year mark which I did w my s4 in 2010

MF on both 24 and 36 are .00145. The .00165 was last month. The incentives did change <$250 so make the changes there.

36 can be the sweat spot. You just need to decide if you want to get out in 24 and pay a little more. Though if you get a solid deal, you can always transfer it. This was my thought process when I leased my M340i.

Haha. I just unloaded my 18 S4 for the M340i as well

Many people do 24 month leases, so clearly it can be depending on the situation

I did 24 month lease on my Volvo S90 since I just started grad school that time and wanted to have a choice after graduation. Payment-wise not much difference for my car but in most situation 24month gets a bigger hit on residual. I’d say go for 36 since 2020 M340i is just refreshed

Depends on lender mf and rv. I did 24 on my Tacoma because it was cheaper then doing a 36

1 Like

24/10 will def be more expensive monthly but my mouth is salvating over a new car in two years. W the residual being so high and mf being fair, I may pay alil more per month to get out in two years. Is 5k for an additional year a bargain?

Just do the 24/10 and call it a day. Or attempt to negotiate it down to get a little closer to the 36/10k, or even better go to NJ where you can do MSD ( may want to confirm this).

You being in NY, you will roll the sales tax into the payment, and not pay it up front, transferring the lease will be a little tricky for people outside of those states, since they most likely will have to pay their sales tax on top of your payment.

I won’t be transferring the lease. Jersey has a 599 doc fee compare to ny of 85. So msd savings get eaten in half plus tolls and gas to get there and home. I’m lazy and I’d rather pay money for convenience especially since my savings is being cut in half automatically

So updated numbers using base mf…614 36/10 vs 693 24/10. What you guys think? Anything I’m missing with both sides??

I have a 24/15 on my Volvo s90. It was cheaper per month than a 36/15.

That normally isn’t the case though.

I’ve found that on all my 36 month leases I’ve had to put brakes and tires on the car before returning it. That can cost a lot on luxury cars and even regular ones. $1500+. If take the shortest term possible on any lease as long as pricing makes sense

3 Likes

Big discount+big incentives usually = better 24 month lease than 36

2 Likes

Usually if a 24 month residual is >6% over the 36 I’m in

6 Likes

Lol it’s 61 percent vs 67 percent…614 per month vs 694 per month. I think I’m going to do 24 month… would you w those numbers?

I did 24 instead of 36 on my giulia because it was only about $30 more per month and I will be able to skip spark plug service, brake fluid service, etc. Although my tires are already worn halfway in lol

I’m also salivating for what I want next

Its $1920 more over the first 2 years. I would go that route. If you figure tires are about 10-13k miles and brakes will happen in the 3rd year your probably ahead or break even on the 2 year deal. Plus the CCA rebate happens every 2 instead of every 3 years.

1 Like

I love when ppl back up what I want :laughing: even my wife agreed

1 Like

not always

I was talking about my situation not in general

So it seems like you paid ~$80 more per month in a 2 yr lease compared to 3. Like you said, considering the tires and brakes give out on the 3rd year, kinda evens out.
I’m also thinking of doing a 2 yr lease instead of 3. What’s the RV% difference usually between 2 and 3 yr lease? Is it that significant?
When I had the end of lease pre inspection done, they dinged me for windshield, front tires, fog lights and rear bumper, but not the brakes.