Docs required to complete cash purchase

maybe the sales rep is clueless. she replied to me stating soft inquiry.
i checked with another Toyota dealer they said
"The only way to purchase a vehcile in CA without having your credit run is to pay with a Cashiers Check from your bank. Personal checks are considered an extention of ones credit, therefore your credit will be run to verify your worthiness. The only loophole to not having your credit pulled when paying with personal check is to wait until your check clears with our bank to take delivery of the vechile. "

I am ok w the social for OFAC, i just dont want a hard inquiry if iā€™m paying cash as iā€™m not financing thatā€™s my logic

getting a headache over this ā€¦

Your logic makes total sense ā€“ why have your credit pulled if your paying cash

Interesting. For my own edification what does pulling credit tell you on someone who is going to pay with a cashierā€™s check?

Why not pull a lexisnexis instead for fraud purposes? A credit report more of a financial picture.

Its more the fact that the deal can get bought by a bank if funds donā€™t come through.

1 Like

OK so let me ask this, what if that person fully funding the purchase on their own with a certified check but have junk credit? Since that could negate the chance a bank would fund the deal would the dealer decline to move forward altogether or handle on a case by case basis?

Sorry for the questions but the fraud/BSA & AML compliance falls within my wheelhouse so itā€™s interesting to hear the other side.

1 Like

a cashierā€™s check can still order stop payment. then your car is halfway to canadaā€¦ then what?

but the credit report only tells you the financial picture from the past.
like the stock market, prior performance is not indicative of future potential. itā€™s a risk regardless.

many people worry that an inquiry drastically takes an 800 to a 500 credit. 1 inquiry does not do that, it barely hits it a few points. getting shot-gunned with shitty credit and getting sent to 50 banks to get an approval does that.

1 Like

Well a credit report tells you the amount of outstanding debt the PG (Primary Guarantor) has. What type of debt ā€“ Amex or Fingerhut. Late payments, Bankruptcies, Collection items.

Most people just look at the score.

a hard inquiry drops your score less than 5 points yes but iā€™m a CC churner and would like to minimize the inquiries thus iā€™m paying ā€˜cashā€™ to avoid a hard inquiry. Unless they are offering me 0% on top of the cash discount then sure why not but itā€™s a cash back or low financing deal.

iā€™m tier 1 rated so am far from the deadbeats companies are trying to avoid.

Thatā€™s not entirely accurate. For cashierā€™s checks the bank is the official maker of the check, not the customer so there is no incentive for the bank to stop a payment on a check. Generally the only instances when a bank would stop payment is if it can be evidenced the check was lost, stolen, or destroyed. No bank worth itā€™s salt is going to stop payment on a certified check at the request of a customer. If the customer does convince them it was lost, stolen, or destroyed the they will need to sign an indemnification agreement but in my own personal experience thatā€™s a rather tall order.

If youā€™re talking about fraudulent cashierā€™s checks, thatā€™s a different story.

No dealer would know that though not knowing you from Adam. Iā€™m sure they hear all the time from anyone that approaches them they have ā€œgoodā€ or ā€œtier 1ā€ credit, only to find out itā€™s not when a report is pulled.

2 Likes

Purchased an SUV here in NY in Nov of '17 for my business. Paid by Bank Check made out to the dealership. The salesman requested no sensitive info with the exception of the biz name and address and, of course, wanted the vehicle insured as same prior to the transfer of plates and pickup.

No Tax IDN, no SSNā€¦ nothing.

thats fair but iā€™m not seeking a loan thus imo a CR or my past is irrelevant.

but why wont Chveysalesgirlā€™s dealer accept hard cash.
thereā€™s no issue w stopping payment w cash cash. there are devices to validate counterfeit bills, just more of a security risk .

exactly, itā€™s a fraud thing and a cashiers check can be stopped.

If a dealer is concerned about a fraudulent cashierā€™s check, they can call the bank that made the check.

No SSN is needed for an OFAC.

Only an either/or purchase contract with give the dealer a way to fund the loan if a check is bad. That will require a full credit application. Some dealers operate this way.

@kaiotes1 - talk to the sales manager to determine how to pay for the car without a credit check. Itā€™s up to them.

I was able to get the original dealer to confirm no need to pull a credit report. Jus the ofac if paying w cashierā€™s check.

Got the car today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

My bank requires the physical check in order to return the funds into the account. A cashiers check represents the amount of money that previously existed in the account and transferred into a physical form.

Without the physical check, I canā€™t go to my bank and say ā€œput a stop payment of cashiers check 123456.ā€ The bank needs the physically take it and record it for their records with the explanation ā€œnot used for intended purposeā€ in order to return the funds. I used to work for Capital One Bank and still use their services. With that being said, if I were to rip or return the check in any form than it was originally issued in, then Iā€™ve lost the funds and they cannot take it.

Is it common for banks on California to return funds to an account after a cashiers check has been issued and without it returned to them? Seems like an easy way to avoid fraud.