Do you trust Carfax?

A couple months ago I returned my leased bmw.
The car has been in 2 accidents:
1st accident was a front end collision with over 10k worth of damages (reported and fixed through Mercury insurance)
2nd accident was rear end collision with about 3k worth of damages (reported and fixed through AAA)
I decided to search the vin of the car as I was curious to see what it would sell for with 2 accidents on file. I end up finding it at a bmw dealership being sold as CPO. I click the carfax link and it shows zero accidents :no_mouth:. I was shocked and more concerned for who ever buys that car thinking it’s clean with no accidents. I know carfax doesn’t show everything, but I figured 2 accidents being reported through insurance would show up.

On top of this, I maintained the car at a different dealership than the one I leased it from (I moved cities). From my past experiences the dealership name/info always comes up on carfax showing where the car went. On this carfax, it only shows that I maintained it at the original dealer the car was leased from (even though it never went to that dealer after it was leased). I did return the car to the same dealer I leased it from.

I find this pretty weird and it’s almost like the dealership picked what they wanted to show on the carfax. It seems like a clean car that stayed local and has never been in an accident. It definitely makes me not trust carfax, not that you fully should anyways. Random rant but any thoughts on how accidents like that don’t get reported to Carfax?

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Carfax screwed me! Anybody have a similar experience?