Do you guys care where a car was made?

Impatiently waiting for one Trusted to chime in (I won’t name names) :smile:

It was never made by Nissan. The QX30 was based on the GLA and built by Nissan.

They never changed their mind. BMW imported the 3 from South Africa for many years. 3-Series production in South Africa ended in 2019, replaced with X3.

It would matter somewhat in the days of European delivery. But those programs (for the most part) ended long before covid.

Because we have little or no control over this, I don’t think it’s worth making the effort required in most cases to seek out a vehicle built in a particular factory.

After my 3 years with a Mexican-made Tiguan, I would be very skeptical of buying anything made in Puebla, MX. Just looking through owner comments on various forums, it looks like the German made VWs are significantly better than their Mexican counterparts.

or could it be that the terrible quality of VW products in the past have been excused since…“GERMAN”, and now the scapegoat is “caz Mexico”

food for thought

1 Like

The secret of manufacturing is that there are good and bad factories everywhere. China makes amazing, top quality stuff and terrible cheap stuff. Same here in America. Hell, Foxconn makes Apple and no name AliExpress crap in the same buildings.

I’m guessing you have a 2018. I think that’s more the issue, I think the 1st year has some issues - the throttle mapping and transmission shift issues have been a source of complaints that was fully rectified for MY19. My 2019 Tiguan I’ve had for 2 years has been flawless :knock-on-wood:

I think this may also be because they built the higher-end more expensive stuff in Germany: Golf/GTI, CC/Arteon, Touareg (RIP for USDM). The Jetta, Tiguan are made in MX and the Passat, Atlas/Cross Sport in Chattanooga.

I care if I buy it - not if I lease it…

VW has never been known to make reliable products, even when all their products came out of Germany. I would personally be quite skeptical of owning one beyond the warranty, regardless of where it was made.

3 Likes

Agreed, but I’d extend this to any European vehicle.

1 Like

This is the bottom line. Way back when, there was a time when the quality of workmanship in a W123/126 Mercedes made in Sindelfingen, Germany or a Toyota made in Japan was unmatched

1 Like