Declining quality of car paint?

Actually, I do that sometimes, but to get the poly gloss in No Rinse to protect from the seagull sht, I have keep applying with microfiber towel every other wash. Don’t touch unless you need to!

ok i have to see this thing in action

1 Like

Sounds very similar to my process, but I have the equipment at home. Is there a particular drying towel you prefer to use? That is one thing I’ve yet to find one that I really love.

+1 I want to say the paint quality on my 4Xe is excellent. Thick. Very even. No dripping or orange peel.

2 Likes

I can also say GM also has good quality paint. Every Chevy and Cadillac I’ve had had thick paint etc.

The Germans as well. (VW, Audi, MB and BMW)

Unfortunately not so much on Honda and Toyota.

1 Like

I think all of the concerns everyone is mentioning here has to do with the clear coat. Whether the paint is thick or not, scratches easily or has water spots has nothing to do with the quality of the paint. I remember Infiniti marketing self healing clear coat over a decade back but obviously isn’t anything more than marketing.

Have you tried this? Waffle Weave Gray Matter Microfiber Drying Towel | Chemical Guys. or Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth Microfiber Drying Towel, 36" x 25" | Chemical Guys

I have tried a bunch and anything from the Rag Company is great. I use the gauntlet after blow drying the car. It is what all the high-end professional shops around me us too. The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

Next time I go I will take a video.

1 Like

I think MB did, too. Who knows, maybe it’s so common now that no one talks about it??? :wink:

That’s the best kind of snow for skiing too. It’s called - wait for it - BLOWER snow. The snow that falls around me is usually too wet. But on those occasions where we do get the nice fluffy snow, it is fun use the leaf blower instead of the snow blower to clear the driveway and walkways. I’ve seen people walk by and look at me funny doing it.

My car wash has a little hand held air thing where the self vacuums are. It’s good for getting water beads off. The $500 blowers are insane powerful. I rent one every fall to do leaf cleanup on my property. Best $50 you’ll ever spend for that rental.

Why not go to a self serve car wash that has a dryer? I’ve seen plenty of places that have such a thing.

Mine does, but it’s all on a pay timer. Shuts off at $20 (about $1/min) before you need to re-swipe. Re-swipe is $5 min

By the time I’m done washing the car, there’s maybe 3-4 mins left, which isn’t enough to dry the car with their air dryer. So rather than me re-swiping and holding up the people behind me, I went out and bought a leaf blower

Ahh ok. That makes sense.