Decided on 2 contenders

Test drove just about every compact SUV and decided on Suburu Forester or Mazda CX5. 2019 Foresters are gone and their lower MF unfortunately. 2020s are about 4% and above for my trims. CX5s are at basically 0% and 58%. Checked trends with Truecar.

Heart is with the CX5 but love capabilities of Forester. In any case both would work just fine. But thinking numbers on Foresters not in my favor.

Any thoughts on the market and what dealers are taking off?

Both good choices - since you’ve already done a bit of research, why don’t you email some local dealers to get some quotes on specific inventory and that’ll give you a bit of a better idea of the numbers for each. Or check out what some dealers like rubbergash are posting.

1 Like

I would steer you towards the forester. In my opinion if you can afford a bit higher payment or more money down, buy the forester. Every Subaru I have purchased is like putting money in a bank. Our latest forester we got i think around a 5-7% Down maybe a bit more and put 2k down to lower the payments a bit. It has about 7k equity in it and it’s five years old.

2 Likes

What does this mean?

Money Factor and residual value. Mazda is actually 56/55% depending on trim

I’m not nearly as good with numbers and $ as are many other posters here, but I don’t quite understand this statement. Any mainstream car will only depreciate, so how is leasing a Subaru like putting money in the bank?

A lot of factors to this…limited supply of vehicles which leaves dealers constantly trying to buy back vehicles and take back leases early. I forgot the exact figures but there depreciation is only 20-30% in five years and 40-50% in ten. Reliability and safety ratings makes them extremely desirable. And if you live anywhere with snow there AWD system is one of the best.

1 Like

And, while that level of depreciation is extremely impressive, that actually ISN’T like leaving your $ in the bank, even if you had lease equity that you could roll over into another car, right?

Oh your one of those people…gotcha. Well yes out of all the vehicles that depreciate at the rate of a falling rock…yes purchasing a Subaru is the equivalent of putting money into the bank. Your going to have a car payment regardless, in this case years down the road you will have equity to show for it. I think you can find at least three people a day on the forums rolling negative equity from being upside down in a prior vehicle. With a Subaru compared to the Mazda you will have a far greater chance of selling it for profit at the end of a lease or selling it from a purchase and being on the positive side of your loan.

Quick search on cargurus shows almost all 2008-2010 Forester for under $10k. That’s much more than 50% depreciation.

1 Like

As stated above I didn’t remember the exact numbers I was spit balling from memory. Subaru’s regularly win the KBB resale value award…but here is a chart of the depreciation of a forester.

If I am reading that right, it shows the Forester has 50% depreciation after 5 years and 72% after 10 years.

1 Like

If you mean people who call other people on their BS, then, yes, I’m absolutely one of those people.

And so do a lot of other makes since their multiple categories of that award:

There are indeed a lot of Subarus on that list… And a lot of Toyota/Lexus models, too.

I’d appreciate if you stopped cherry picking your facts and stopped making misleading posts.

For one I never cherry picked my facts nor did I make a misleading post. The OP asked opinion of what others thought between a basic car like a Mazda cx3 and a highly sought after car like Subaru. I would be happy to debate further as would many other Subaru owners. However your just here to argue and have offered nothing in the way of help for the “OP”. You mention “so are a lot of other cars” but clearly reading comprehension was lost on you, as the OP only asked about two specific vehicles.

It’s much easier for everyone to converse about MF quoted as .00xxx

If my reading comprehension is faulty, it’s no worse than yours, since your beloved Forester doesn’t show up on the KBB list.

At any rate, to the OP, you could start w/ looking at the Edmunds forums to see to see what incentives are available for each car and what the buy rate MF is. And then, as @Bjam suggested, start contacting dealers for actual quotes. The theoretical figures don’t mean much since you have to work w/ what the dealer is willing to offer…

As an aside, though, Mazda isn’t known for giving much off of MSRP for the CX-5.