Dealers getting upset

About 99.6373% of those wanted ads are unrealistic and brokers/dealers don’t grab business from there

6 Likes

Apparently you just don’t want my business and I will get a Wrangler $0 down, $249/month somewhere else.

7 Likes

It exists. It’s called the Marketplace, and it works the opposite way. A dealer/broker listing attracting serious buyers is a much more efficient approach.

1 Like

It’s there -

1 Like

While we’re on that topic, can I get a one-pay Chevy Bolt for $5000? Everyone’s doing it, so why can’t every dealer match?!?

Or the $450/mth 7-series loaner :slight_smile:

Also, you can buy out the 11-months left on my Honda Civic that I leased for $560/mo, no problem…right?

1 Like

Yes with no money not down and keeping your payments the same plus inflation and reverse-deflation.

1 Like

I hope you didn’t mention LH or “hacking” a deal. Those words are blockers for most salespeople.

As for asking for an insane deal, I find a little polite preface goes a long way. “I know your time is valuable and I don’t want to waste it. I have an aggressive offer and have got all my terms ready for you. It’s a big swing, but I hope you can just desk it and see what happens.” Get the salesperson on your side. Yes the deal will be a mini, but you’re going to be a respectful, easy buyer and the work will also be mini-level. And you’re giving him a perfect survey, of course. And leave glowing reviews on DR, Yelp, Google, Facebook…

21 Likes

This ^^^^^^^^

7 Likes

Totally I am usually very polite and just start by saying that I just wanted to check something quick and not waste our times. In know the car i want just looking for right price. Usually even have a stock number handy. No reason to not be nice and no reason to waste time. Some managers actually called me back and nicely had the conversation with me. A few took it as I am trying to rob them by even asking the question.

2 Likes

If you are shopping a quote you have in writing, I usually use this line:

“Dealer XXX has the deal I like, but you have the spec I really like.” Explain why you’re shopping a deal, and give some (probably not super genuine) confidence you’re not just going to keep shopping and shopping.

Also, you do have to get a car at some point. Figure out the point of diminishing returns–your time is probably more valuable than saving an extra 100 bucks at some point. Don’t become the guy who never buys, you don’t want to be that guy in life.

Oh no I typically spend no more than 2-3 days finding the deal. Then I buy. I guess because I don’t usually push too hard I find something that I can accept.

Funny. Why do buyers have to be so sensitive to dealers? Should buyers be up-in-arms when they get offered ridiculously lousy deals? Like, do you think I want to go into a dealership and spend hours to get a totally shit deal?

I mean, it’s expected. Two parties are coming to the table trying to maximize it to their benefit. Nobody should be personally offended.

It’s a lot more cordial now, back in the days it used to lead to fist fights!

I had a good deal from a salesman/manager combo in May on a V60. I come back in June looking for another car and the price they give me (after me working backwards) was 4% over MSRP on a S60 after factoring the great incentives I qualified for. I sent a quick email asking if their numbers were correct and they confirmed. It was their way of saying ‘don’t bug me’ this month, and I just moved on.

1 Like

I can’t even count the amount of times I have heard people “offended” at a number. It is just a number, if you don’t like it then make a counter offer. If I have spent a few hours with you test driving and going over options, it is a reasonable expectation to try and get a return for my time.

3 Likes

Did you lease the V60, or did they correctly mark you as a tire-kicker when you came back on the S60?

In Detroit, I am not getting any satisfaction from BMW or Alfa Romeo dealers.
Only Genesis dealers (looking at the G70) have stepped up to the plate to offer
competitive deals on the 2020 and a few 2019 models. Most want you in and out within a ten minute discussion. Maybe September is a bad time to shop for a car and should wait for more 2021 models to arrive on their lots.

And, most importantly, their first question is “What Payment do you want to be at?”
I thought we were past those type of come ons.

1 Like

Would you rather them ask you what discount pre rebates, MF, RV you want to be at?

Lol

@mllcb42 and many others have said it, it’s best to know the output of where you want to be.

A lot of dealers will ask that question. Brokers will too. Because at the end of the day, what you put down and what you pay monthly is what matters.

So it’s important to have the formula for how you got to your goal. But the goal is what matters.

@RyanS9 said it best from a dealer perspective IMO

*I’ve said this here before but as a dealer I will tell you what I would prefer. Just tell me what you need the payments to be. Don’t tell me where I can and can’t make profit. It’s up to me how I allocate the stores money.

Whenever someone demands buy rate it’s like going into the grocery store and telling them which bills they are allowed to pay from the can of soup your buying. If I am good with front end profit for the month but I need money in F&I, I am not going to structure the deal at buy rate. But I might offset that in the selling price. You are far more likely to have a dealer reach for a deal on just payments rather then telling them how the structure of the deal needs to be.

Tell me the offer in a take it or leave it scenario and let me find a way to get there If I want. I would also probably suggest you don’t mention LH, just indicate you have that offer somewhere else and be ready to pull the trigger fast. (after you do your research here and know the deal should be at least close to possible).

just my 2 cents*

5 Likes