Dealer vs Equifax show different scores

I am planning to buy a car from a dealer and they say the credit score is 679 but I just bought my $15 Equifax report and it shows 743 as of today, what is the problem, why a difference TIA

There are dozens and dozens of credit score models.

The only one that matters is the one that’s being used for decisioning on that specific transaction.

both are using Equifax

There are dozens and dozens of credit score models that score your Equifax file.

The only one that matters is the one that’s used for decisioning on that specific transaction.

2 Likes

oh ok thanks

What kind of industry “folk” are you asking this type of question? I hope not a car broker.

3 Likes

If you dig far enough, eventually you will encounter a disclaimer like this for the Equifax Credit Score, which Equifax sells on its site (emphasis added):

Equifax Credit Score

Check your Equifax Credit Score anywhere, anytime.

The Equifax® Credit Score is based on the Equifax Credit Score model. Third parties use many different types of credit scores and will not use the Equifax Credit Score to assess your creditworthiness.

Different scoring methods. Different banks use ones. MBFS uses Transunion Auto 8. The scores on credit karma are gives you the general idea but it is when is actually ran which matters.

1 Like

Equifax gives you some internal scoring model, aka useless for this purpose, just like Vantage/Credit Karma. Get your Equifax FICO Auto Enhanced scores direct from myFICO so you can be an informed Industry Folks person :zipper_mouth_face:

No, they don’t, but I bet dealers LOVE clueless consumers who show up with Credit Karma scores.

This user has asked numerous questions that nobody in the car sales industry should ask. I highly doubt that he or she is involved in selling cars (I hope)

1 Like

Nearly 88% of the time, Kredit Karmahahaha will give you an idea +/- 350 points of the score actually used to render a credit decision.

2 Likes

My father owned a car dealership until about 3 years ago, and he wouldn’t know a credit score from a double-ended dildo.

Wow thank you so much for that image.

Old people know more than you give them credit for.

They had smut films in the 70s

1 Like

350 points is an atrocious claim. Any data to back that up? The max Ive seen is 70-80 points.

350 is an exaggeration however my credit Karma score is 120 points off my actual FICO score

2 Likes

Considering the entire fake Kredit Karmahaha skore range is from 500 to 850, 120 points is egregious.

Also, you do not have an “actual FICO score.” There are many, many FICO score models.

Yes I suppose you couldn’t tell from my post but I was agreeing with you. Credit karma is a joke and I was referring to my base FICO score 8 the most commonly used one not a specific one like Auto or the newer FICO 9.

1 Like

Got it.

So many misconceptions about credit, I just assume everyone else is wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like