Dealer refuse to register my car after leaving negative review

He’s in FL, so they used some round number.

1 Like

So this really turns into a game of chicken at this point.

They cannot charge you a fee in your contract and then not pay it. They are literally contractually obligated to do so.

I’m not saying you should do this but if somebody talked to me like that, the next call I would have made is to the dealer licensing division of that state.

Frankly, there are always two sides to a story, but they cannot steal from you.

After reading your comments, it’s probably best you get them to register the car for you.

4 Likes

Over rather than under and return overage.

Easier to return money then ask for more for registration.

Plus Round numbers look pretty.

If you have a broker, they’re the one that should be handling this.

I’m also not sure why you’d leave the store a bad review if you couldn’t reach them. You have a broker and you should have made them do it.

5 Likes

Turning into a saga…popcorn is waiting for the bodycount.

Government/license fees should be listed on your contract. If it isn’t, then the dealership didn’t collect it from you, so it might be easier to just register it yourself now.

1 Like

I want to hear what @AutoCompanion has to say.
And how he was going to reprimand his SM especially lol

1 Like

Don’t go nuclear - I’m sure the broker (who has a good reputation) will get it resolved. Leaving a bad review, especially on a survey, is generally a really bad idea unless you’ve exhausted everything else. It pretty much effects everyone’s pay plan at the dealership, the salesman included, who most likely didn’t do anything wrong. Seems like there’s just a lazy title clerk - which isn’t all the unusual. Bonuses often are all or nothing, so something like this can have huge repercussions for people uninvolved in the problem.

6 Likes

@Ursus pretty sure this deal was not with us.

4 Likes

This is an unreasonable number of contacts.

6 Likes

If they answered my first call or replied to my first email, there would not be another 9 calls or emails…

1 Like

Water under the bridge at this point.

OP - share your edited lease contract if you can. If govt fees are on it, the dealer will need to refund it to you. If it’s not there, it’s not there and you’ll need to pay it when you register the vehicle yourself. You should have all the docs you need or you can request them from the lessor/bank.

If you still feel aggrieved, you can pursue with the dealer’s state governing body (you need to research). Or maybe even the BBB :man_shrugging:

No winners at all in this situation, and all the best in getting the car registered!

Soooooo… how about that contract?

5 Likes

Too busy making more calls/emails???

3 Likes

I’m speaking to you the way I would to a friend.

This is bad form, and it usually has the opposite of the desired effect.

At work I’ve been slow walking one matter since April.

The other party has a lot more to gain than we do, and even after setting reasonable expectations they started badgering me almost immediately for status updates. And they were unrelenting.

That’s how it became my lowest priority.

4 Likes

I’m curious how much of the profit from selling the previous car is getting wasted on car rental fees or Uber…

@trism is right. There’s a point at which you’re pushing them to just regarding you as a harasser. For example, if 10 is good, why not to 20? 50? 100? Would calling every 60s from 9am til 9pm get you more cooperation?

In dealing with another party, adversarially or not, it is important to maintain the perception that you are a reasonable (but firm) party and that they have more to gain by satisfactorily resolving the matter rather than writing you off.

3 Likes

I don’t understand some of the responses justifying dealer’s behavior. Isn’t registering the car dealer’s responsibility, especially if fees are collected ? Or is it simply a courtesy because it’s an out of state deal?

3 Likes

You and I must be reading different threads because I don’t see anyone justifying the dealer’s behavior.

Understanding how one may not have helped resolve the situation and justifying the dealer’s behavior are two very different things.

It’s like pedestrians that step out into traffic and say “well, I have the right away”. Sure, it’s wrong of the person driving the car to hit you, but even if you’re right, you’re still dead.

3 Likes

Don’t dealer’s have to pay sales tax on behalf of the customer when registering the car? I am curious as to how that’s playing out here.