Dealer marked up MF

Hello hackrs,

Was in a dealership recently. I researched the MF/RV and incentives from edmunds on the vehicle I wanted

Sales manager gave me a big discount on the sales price but marked up the MF so much that it negated any savings

I hinted it was high but he stuck to it. I didn’t want to be confrontational about it figuring that wouldn’t get me what I wanted

Any suggestions to get them to lower it?

Thanks for your time

Try another dealer. It’s not about being confrontational it’s about holding firm to what you want. If they don’t agree you have the prerogative to walk.

3 Likes

Same here.

I just show them the price on LH. One stuck to marked up and let me go LA and get the scam. One matched the price and even lowered the price.

Did this get you to the payment you wanted? It doesn’t matter how they make the sausage.

Don’t ever recommend doing this. Ever. Don’t mention LH.

8 Likes

Negotiate a larger discount on the selling price.

Fighting line items like doc fees and MF markups = pushing boulders uphill

1 Like

No … If the MF wouldn’t have been inflated I would have gotten the payment I wanted.

The first rule of LH…

8 Likes

I agree with Max, 1000% + 10%. Lower the selling price. Walk away if they don’t.

Please put exact amounts and calculator link if possible. Will help in understanding the deal Instead of rough numbers.

If you want LH to continue to exist, please keep it to yourself. That should be pretty evident.

My rule of marked up MF- ask for the base rate. If they don’t, exercise your consumer right and walk out and find another stealership that will.

1 Like

That makes no sense. The next dealers could offer you base rate with a much smaller discount = higher payments

1 Like

To all mentioned me above: I never say “LH” or “lease hacker” but just give them screenshot from iMessages or spreadsheet rows (or just the number “I got from Edmund and other online forums”) :slight_smile:

You have to be very careful with the base MFs or bust mentality. We’ve seen some amazing deals here with max marked up MFs.

You have to be able to balance sales price and interest in the leasing game.

2 Likes

This happened to me on a Mercedes Benz. they gave me a nice discount on price and marked up the money factor so much so, that it added hundreds of dollars to my monthly payment. When i refused to do the deal, they became belligerent and called me crazy for walking away from a 20 percent off discount :unamused:

Compared to what?

If base MF without the discount was still higher than marked up MF with discount then you were still paying less maybe not what you wanted to pay (and that’s fine) but still lower than option 1.

On what car? Most brands have a limit to how much they can mark things up. $200+ per month increase at max MF mark up could only really occur on a vehicle with a selling price over $250k

This is good to know. They must have padded the numbers elsewhere, because the difference in payments was significant (over $200 per month).I was patient and emailed many dealerships asking for the following:

20 percent off
No MF mark up or hidden costs, as I’m looking for a clean deal.
Max MSD
Tier 1 credit
6.75 percent tax rate.
24 month/15,000 per year
*i already ran the numbers and knew what my payment would be, using the leasehackr calculator.
I started my search in October and ended up getting exactly what I was looking for in January. I invested over 20 hours into getting this deal. The vehicle is a 19 CLS.

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t shock me at all.

I used the leasehackr calculator and ran the numbers using the mf, residual, incentives obtained from edmunds and plugged in a 20 percent discount prior to reaching out to dealerships. My goal was to get a clean deal with no marks and a 20 percent discount, which I achieved last month.