Dealer has failed to register the car for 3 months

Probably a law pushed by vested interests to throttle the private sale market and basically force everyone into retail.

One of the worst examples of this type after the FL law that requires going to a dealer (and thus paying massive fees) just to buy your leased car from the lessor.

2 Likes

I had to call Corporate Toyota to get action closed out on my registration from a dealer on here I did out of state (neighboring state). It took well over two months, the guy doing the lease paperwork was new and bungled it to hell and they didn’t really care after I drove off. Only once Corporate got involved did I get escalated to a more senior person who could get it done.

1 Like

After 3 weeks I received a car, I got a call from a dealer asking for my insurance policy nr. That’s when I realized that they have not even submitted any paperwork to the 3rd party for registration. 6 weeks ago they called me again and asked me to get a new insurance form, since the old one is only valid for 30 days.
GM is blaming covid and saying sorry, Volvo headquarters told me it’s between me and a dealer.

Yeah I don’t know the exact process. After several issues with mass I told my one dealer let’s not sell to that state anymore, but they finally worked out most of the kinks.

If it was 4-5 weeks I would say give them the benefit of the doubt. Not 3 months.

Ask the dealer for dealer plates to use while they sort it out. If they won’t do that talk to an attorney. We have given clients dealer plates to use in the past when they screwed up paperwork.

Dealer has agreement with a Volvo, car has to be registered by the dealer.

Tell me more of this? Im in FL and have not had to do this before (and I have bought out leases). I just checked my BMWFS payoff docs as well as there is no mention of dealer involvement. Send $ to BMWFS, get your title it appears…

We have it good here in FL. I was able to complete registration same day, leave with transferred plates, and received vanity plates in the mail about 4 weeks later.

We cant figure out alot of things (insert election joke here), but apparently the DMV is decent.

1 Like

Multiple threads over the years describing the same situation, ie lessors not able to sell directly to lessees in Florida.

1 Like

+1 for Florida DMV, got my plates in 6 weeks. Purchase from Out of State. Not certain where you at in FL, but fyi, Sebastian DMV on US1, very efficient. (sorry to sway off topic OP)

Thanks for this info because I read here as well as on ClubLexus fora that we in Florida must do buyout thru a local dealer. I wonder if this is just a Lexus thing?

South Florida is the same as well, very efficient in that regard.

Nope, there have been the same reports about multiple brands

2 Likes

Going on 2 months since my Benz Sprinter purchase from out of state (Utah to IL) and still haven’t gotten plates.

I agree. The next step is to call the leasing company/bank and try to get a hold of someone. They can walk you through registering it yourself.

Everything I’ve read says that Florida law requires lease buy out through the dealer. Maybe bmw has a dealer facilitate behind the scenes?

2 Likes

Seems like OP has already contacted Volvo and they said tough luck, it’s between you and the dealer.

OP, try reaching out to them via public social media pages, that usually does the trick!

2 Likes

I also (in my less informed days) bought out a VW lease in FL and did not have a dealer involved, but that was a number of years ago now.

I live in NY and bought a car from SC on 10/31, I just got my plates last week. Dealership sent me a new 30 day temp whenever it was about to expire.