Dealer got offended for me trying to negotiate on loaner (MB E300 ,in TX)

Went into local MB dealer today to look at potential leases. Dealer showed me the car and told me he’s gonna give me a special deal (yea, sure) after looking at the loaner with 6k miles on it. the monthly comes out to be $7xx per month ( lol) he did not give me the break down on the pricing because he was eager to show me the deal he’s gonna give me so here it is

Loaner with 4k miles, P2 package, white with tan interior.
MSRP: 64k
Sale Price 58k (wtf?)
MF : 0.00147, 1025 acqusition,RV 55% misc fee i did not bother to remember.
He was gonna let me have the car if i pay 750 per month and he will waive the tax/fees. i asked about the MSDS, he shook his head and said the deposits don’t make much difference, I then tried to tell him that the MF was marked up and i would like him to lower it. He seemed overtly annoyed and then said " so you want me to sell it to you for $0?" and then presumed to ask me what payment i had in mind. i presented to him that with the loaner i was expecting 400-500 range, the second he heard that number he said i dont know anything about leasing and at that point i knew i wasn’t going to get anywhere so i left.
I think he thought i was being cheap and maybe it was because i look young and he didnt think i knew what i was doing.

I know not everyone’s hackr friendly because dealers need to make money too, but how do you guys approach dealers with those type of negotiation without having them think you’re trying to rip them off?

ps. asked about the corp fleet deal, obviously was no dice, he said the loaners too cheap already

Email or call another sales person at that dealer

I have experienced that negotiations over email are far better for customers like us

4 Likes

You need to proceed slowly, “wine & dine” them first. Don’t expect them to go to bed with you on the first date. Don’t give them low hacker’s monthly payments - it scares them. Rather lead them to your target payment by asking for your target sales price first, then buy rate, fleet, then MSD.

5 Likes

Once your info in their system and assigned to someone, they will not switch you.

I’ve had no trouble asking the salesman for his sales manager or to send me to fleet. Even the receptionist willing send you there if you ask.

But wine and dining is best, just some sales people are too stubborn and you need to switch.

Salesperson-to-manager - yes.

I sell CRM software to dealerships, once you’re info is in there, 99% of the time they will NEVER give you another salesperson … maybe just a sales manager

I don’t sell software, but know it from my experience :slightly_smiling_face:

How you guys wine n dine? Lol i already test drove the car i know what i want. Id thought dealers would appreciate me not beating the bush but i guess if i have to pretend to be interested in their daily affairs to get the deal i will play ball

That’s why I always use pseudonyms/emails when negotiating. Once I am satisfied with the deal, I give them the real information. Allows me to correspond with the same dealership through different sales people.

If a manager sees 2 people dealing on the same car, I would think they won’t be as aggressive in giving out deals.

You seem to know how dealers work more.

So what happens if 2 different sales managers get hits on the same car?

Do they go into
Competition mode?

Yeah, do not tell them how much you want to pay. Most of the times the sales person does not know how you want to get there and If you are getting a hackr worthy deal they just assume you are asking for impossible.

so how do you suggest i approach the question? ask them how much they can discount?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spoken like a true gentleman!

The OPs issues stem from the fact that he was “on their turf”. As @Warbeast already pointed out, he should have called or emailed and not have stepped foot into the dealership this early in the shopping process. It can be very discouraging. The attitude from the sales person is typical. If would ignore them for now and shop elsewhere, they’ll start calling in a few weeks anyway.

1 Like

believe me, i tried to negotiate over the phone but the sales guy wouldn’t do it insisted on me going in. so at that point i kinda knew where it was headed but i went anyway since i got time to kill and i wanted to see what he has up his sleeve

@lolpretz they can insist all they want, you go when you decide to go, not him. It’s just the attitude you have to have.
Everybody on this forum will tell you not to step foot into a dealership until you have already negotiated a deal.

1 Like