Dealer going crazy with the Supra mark up lol

100k is nothing to a YouTuber with followers. Seems the more we hype these vehicles they wind up in videos that cover the cost of the car in views. I personally know a guy who paid for his hellcat back in 2017 by Instagram and youtube ad revenue.

3 Likes

Man I wish I couldā€™ve done that. But Iā€™m not dumb enough to appeal to the masses.

5 Likes

Which is crazierā€”the Civic Type R or the Supra markup?

Both.

I think the TR markups though are seen as more distasteful.

Markups are for fools with cash to burn, canā€™t blame the dealer for trying to make money. Itā€™s on the manufacturer. They should be able to let you order yours online and at MSRP these days. But, they may wish to reward their dealers for a while when a new hotly anticipated model hits the lot.

Itā€™s truly amazing how much people make from YouTube ā€¦one guys video I was watching. He lived in a modest house and had just switched from a Mercedes to a Ferrari all because of his YouTube revenue stream. Others would probably think he has another job but itā€™s because of the YouTube success he bought a $250,000 Ferrari. Most of those YouTube videos that I have noticed are clickbate. They give you a ridiculously over the top headline and 18:56 seconds of boring content yet people by the masses watch these videos giving the YouTuber hundreds of thousands and millions a year. Who would have ever thought this just a decade or two ago.

They are not allowed to do that by law, so it is not on the manufacturer.

1 Like

What law? Law is a joke for the elite rich theyā€™ll break it get a slap on the wrist and then turn around and do it again like the dealer that sold John Cenaā€™s Ford GT sold it twice lol

Neither John cena nor the dealer broke any laws. They only broke a ā€œcontractā€ that John cena had signed with Ford and at that point, it wasnā€™t the dealers problem.

1 Like

Contract is a binding agreement if broken then governed by law that required them to pay a settlement without it then itā€™s just he say she say

itā€™s just not criminal I think what heā€™s getting at, thus ā€œslap on the wristā€ doesnā€™t really apply in this situation. They could settle at whatever both parties find ā€œfairā€.

Iā€™m sure cena paid a settlement and I didnā€™t follow the case completely through, but it was a civil suit, not a criminal one.

Iā€™d have to look into it, but I thought the judge presiding in the case also called into question the dubiousness of Ford even creating that contract in the first place. How can Ford dictate to a car owner what they can or canā€™t do with their own property after the fact?

Yeah criminal or not my point was that the rich elite can get away with stuff that an average Joe canā€™t

I agree with you, I just donā€™t think the John Cena example was the best to demonstrate your point, haha. Didnā€™t John Cena settle? I would hardly consider that a ā€œslap on the wrist.ā€ His actions didnā€™t warrant jail time either, in the first place.

Maybe Iā€™m just nitpicking at this point.

What if he didnā€™t have the money to settle? :thinking:

Poor folk can break contracts all they want, and they do. But just like rich folk, they have to pay restitution.

Yeah totally agree like @StingerTT said wrong example for the point lol forgot Iā€™m not in Dubai you get arrested there for not paying your bills

Actually, in the US you CAN get arrested for not paying your bills, mostly in the South. I think John Oliver did a piece on this topic.

Yeah I read some states you can mostly if you get pulled over or something and itā€™ll pop up on the computer

Dealer franchise laws. As a broker, certainly you know about this.