Dealer asking monthly payments

It is not easy for me to navigate to dealerships, especially due to the fact that my time is limited. So, the last thing I want to do on my free day is go to a dealership 45 min away to hear some outrageous figure.

So, my tactic has been to say something like “I do not want to travel 45 min to the showroom to hear X down and $xxx - yyy month” with X and Y being outrageous figures.

In some rare cases, I have gotten dealers to present initial offers/quotes this way, but most of the time these dealers keep asking for what monthly range I am looking for. I know I should be negotiating in terms of sales price and not monthly payments, how can I follow up when they are trying to force a monthly payment range/budget out of me?

Search for “how to negotiate” in this forum.

It’s been extensively discussed

3 Likes

If you know they want to speak in monthly payment terms, why even say this? Only talk about sales price before incentives. You should have already calculated and know what that translates to in terms of monthly payments. Once they agree to a sales price, ask them for a breakdown to confirm you are getting the buyrate MF and their monthly matches what you calculated.

3 Likes

Ok, I will try this. I do the calculations ahead of time and I know how the sales price affects the payments. Often, I find the discount to be decent enough (to begin working with), but they really kill the deal with inflated MF and other markups. I will try your approach going forward, but any advice how to recover from the e-mails that I have already opened with that line?

Do research on potential dealer discount before rebates. Research your rebates and apply them. Then calculate monthly with your tax via calculator. I usually reply, based on my calculation it is sale price, minus rebates, with this residual and mf i come at this monthly. You give them how you come at your monthly will hopefully weed out back and forth.

1 Like

Its a lease, while there are quite a few variables, not many of them are set by the dealer (sure they can markup the money factor, but you arent going to buy there), just the same as you can buy down the MF (if applicable). The rest really comes down to the sale price on the car and the residual on the car, some cars just dont lease well (see Porsche), not really anyones fault, but if you want a P-Car, you’re going to get a loan.

Personally i’d email all the dealers locally to you the same email, hell you can BCC all of them if you really dont want to copy/paste a few times. I’d go to the dealer that is the lowest on their initial question, as everything else is the same.

Since the MF & Residuals are pretty static, i’d just focus on the sale price.

To me looks like you would make a perfect customer for Jon :slight_smile:

I don’t get it???

I guess @vhooloo misconstrued my statement of my time being limited as I’m not willing to put in the work. I don’t finish work until nearly 8 pm every day, so that eliminates weekdays. Leaving me with weekends only and at times I have other obligations. Not to mention the fact that I currently do not have a vehicle, so trekking 45min to a showroom to hear outrageous figures is not an ideal Saturday afternoon.

There’s no reason to ever go to the dealer for quotes. Do some researching on this forum and start emailing for quotes.

Find a car deal on here and try to replicate…

Learn about residual, money factor etc… then when you understand that you can get that info for any car on Edmunds. (Search google for Edmunds lease forum)

Some cars lease well, some don’t. If you find a car you like compare to see what discounts people on here got for the same car and what incentives were applied.

A lot of this research you can do from your couch. You can even email dealers. Intiially they will try to screw you… they do that to all of us.

If you can provide logic and reasoning to your offer to them, they are more suceptible to working with you.

Before every car deal I do the deal on the lease calc here and run my own numbers. If you can show that, that’s half the battle

I am saying he should get a broker if he has trouble going to dealerships and has other things to do with his time and doesn’t want to waste time with sales people.

@vhooloo I was confused by the perfect customer for me part. I’m not a broker.

Perhaps I was not clear in my initial question. I understand that some cars lease well and others do not. Audi or Honda for example tend to lease poorly relative to others in it’s class.

I also understand how the payments are calculated. My issue was more related to my execution or approach during initial contact or negotiations with dealers. I found myself getting ridiculous quotes. These weren’t even close to the deals I would get when running the numbers myself. Most of it comes from dealers unwilling to give a larger discount, or nonbuyrate MF. However, that is where all my contact with dealers seem to breakdown. After I let them know their amazing deal is not even something I would consider, they begin asking me about monthly payments, etc. And not sure how to circumvent or respond to that.

Just ignore that and ask for a sales price (before incentives are applied).

What’s the problem? Do your work and see what is the best deal for you, that would make you happy. Then hit them with this number, if they want it. How they get there is their problem.