Dealer add ons with trucks

Yes, full color tri fold booklet in heavy stock paper. One of the items I read was on it was “GPS” which I think is the dealers lo jack. I LOLd out of there 30 seconds after.

Thanks; took a look but they’re still wanting $655 per month with $700 down for 12/36. I’d really like to be between $550 to $580, including taxes, for this truck. I just don’t think it is worth more than that for me. I know it all comes down to the math, but check it out:

MSRP: $60,500
Selling Price as advertised: $51,900 [Dealer discount: $6.1K; Rebate: $2.5K]
This month’s RV: 55%
This month’s MF: 0.00024

Just plugging this into the calculator, I get $576 monthly with $2.2K drive off.

I’d be happy to do $1K down and a monthly payment of $550 to be able to call this a passable deal, considering how difficult it is to get them to move their pricing. But I’m getting quoted anywhere from mid 600s to 800s, which is absolutely delusional.

Am I missing something here? I ended up doing this myself because no broker wanted to work a deal with this truck. I’m starting to understand why.

I try to go to the dealerships since these guys are probably one of the most old school mentalities left and prefer to talk to you in person so that they can go all tactical on you. I typically let them have that as a sign of me willing to negotiate. If I had my way, I would just do everything over email, but I haven’t had great results so far with that. They want you in there so you can test drive the car for the fifth time (or “trick” you into test driving it), ask you what your monthly payment should be, and the classic “you didn’t hear it from me, but…” or “I just got yelled at by my manager, can’t go that low”, etc.

I agree; I have no problem walking out. I still have an amazing lease on an S90 (which a broker over here got me) until next August, but I can pass this lease along to a family member if I find something that I like now.

I think it comes down to dealerships not caring about your time. They advertise a dealer discount of $6K, but once you’re there you discover that they have $5K in dealer add-ons that you cannot waive, effectively making the discount only $1K. If I knew that they had these dealer add-ons that cancel out the dealer discount up front, I wouldn’t even go to the dealership. But they rely on this trick to get you in there and it is difficult for me to deal with this BS. I guess it is a personality thing. Being a straight shooter, I prefer to talk to straight shooters and struggle with keeping a straight face when facing weasels, especially if I’m completely free to walk away without consequence.

And this, folks, is why I like brokers lol

1 Like