Deal Check: Volvo XC40 Inscription - 36/7.5 - 539/m (including tax)

Hi all,

Looking for a deal check on this one. It’s my first quote, though I have a solid six dealerships in the area I can reach out to, so I want to get a sense where I’m landing here.

MSRP $47,055
Sales Price $41,420.80 (including $1,750 lease cash)
Residual 59% ($27,762.45) (same as Edmunds)
MF 0.00091 (same as Edmunds)
Acq Fee $995
Doc Fee $299
Government Fees - in DC, I believe this is $358? ($119/yr for registration, 13 for a new tag)
Zero Drive Off
Monthly Payment $539 – dealer noted Volvo is “waiving first two payments” – does this mean I’d pay 34 payments of $539 (for an effective monthly payment of $509.06)?

I plan to put down 10 MSDs, but didn’t bother for my initial quotes as that should be simple to add at the end.

I put the “waived first two payments” in the calculator as taxed incentives, let me know if that’s not right and why? I’m not only interested in getting a good deal, but on increasing my knowledge going forward. Tax in DC is 10.25% (I know…) Calculator Link

Thank you!

What’s the actual selling price (before any incentives are deducted)? Do you have loyalty or first responder/teacher or Costco? Need more info to evaluate, but seems like you have room to improve here.

The sales price was sent to me as “$41,420.80 (includes the $1,750 incentive)” – so I can get to $43,170.80 before that lease cash, I’m just not sure how the “waived first two payments” is handled/accounted for.

No loyalty/first responder/teacher/Costco (so annoyed that a Costco membership last month could have saved me so much money…)

16-18% off before any rebates is (or was, before pandemic market impact) possible in NY/NJ. I think MD is tougher.

It’s such a great car, we have almost this exact model (40 T5 INS + Rims + Advanced).

I’m in DC, so VA and MD are possible for me, though VA doesn’t cap doc fees and MD does at $299. This dealer doesn’t participate in cargurus but there’s a couple on there that have been on lots for months, give me a bit of hope.

Here, maybe I can push more on the sale price then? Not sure I’ll get from $43k (8%) to 16-18%, but seems like it may be worth a try to pare it down.

8% is weak. You’re at 500+ for a car that can get you XC60 or XC90 money.

I’ve got my 55k XC60 Inscription for 460 a month, I think you can do a lot better. Not sure how the sitch in MD is like but you’d still be much better off shipping it from NY/NJ or driving up there to get the car.

You need to aim low 400s on this car at max.

1 Like

Really? On a new? Never happened. You are lucky to get 16% on a loaner, especially now.
@franchdressing - there is probably another $900-1,000 there.

another dealership has a demo model which ends at 499/m including tax… couldn’t quite make the calculator work (they said rolling everything in, first payment due at signing – i can either do Zero Drive Off or not on the calculator, but not only first payment due).

MSRP $48,395
Selling Price (after incentives) $39,983
RV 59%
MF 0.00091
Acq Fee $995
Doc Fee $299
$1750 lease cash, $3000 demo allowance

They’ll throw in free brakes/rotors/wipers with the standard Volvo 3 years of service. 499/m isn’t terribly different from the $509.06 quote for a non-demo – feel I could do better on one of them?

Calculator

You’re at ~13% pre-incentive when you add the lease cash back in. That’s not stellar for a loaner.

The calculator FAQ tells you how to adjust this to any value you want.

Who are the dealers? Darcars, Ourisman?

@mllcb42 perfect, thanks. agreed – it seems like the ~13% pre-incentive is a hopeful goal for the non-loaner and a bit more for a loaner (and the 3k incentive)?

@Ursus darcars and annapolis. ourisman has no inscriptions…

Typically with the volvo loaners, the $3k incentive doesn’t really “exist”. It’s the dealer getting paid for having the vehicle in service for a certain period of time and isn’t passed on to you. It just allows the dealer to go deeper in the discount (which is why the 13% pre-incentive discount here is calculated with the lease cash rolled back in, but not the $3k). So you wouldn’t expect a higher % discount AND a $3k incentive added on.

okay, got it. maybe i’m being dense, but that means that this offer is:

MSRP $48,395
“Offered Demo Incentive $3,000”
Discounted Price $41733 (85.4% of MSRP)
Lease Cash $1,750
Sales Price $39,983

and the ‘demo incentive’ is just a way to categorize part of the ~14.5% off to make it look like I am getting both a regular discount off MSRP and something extra for being a loaner?

So here, going back with a different price, I shouldn’t be even discussing in terms of ‘demo incentive’ or not, I should be negotiating the $41,733 figure before the lease cash?

$41733 is not 85.4% of $48395, it’s 86.2%, so the pre-incentive discount in this case is 13.8% off. The “demo incentive” is basically them giving you an extra $3k off what they’d offer on a new one, but yes, it’s being phrased to suggest a regular discount and extra for the loaner.

It doesn’t really matter, as ultimately, 13.8% is coming from the dealer, no matter how they try to itemize it.

Yes, I would just focus on the discounted price before the lease cash. Let them justify the pre-incentive amount however they’d like. It’s transparent to you.