Deal check please. 2021 BMW 430i - SoCal

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking for a while on the forums and I need a lease to start when I move back to the region just before thanksgiving (been in NYC on long term business).

I am posting this far in advance as I am looking at a custom order situation. None of the incoming stock I could see for the newly designed 4 series matched what i am after and so in a sense I know i will be paying a bit extra to get what I want. I managed to get a dealer down to the following:

MSRP - 55,970 inc destination
Sell price pre incentive - 51,000
Term - 36/12
RV - 55%
MF - 0.00099
DAS - First month, fees, taxes and $500 DP (1,700 total)
Incentives - $500 penfed
Monthly - $700 inc tax

It seems the RV isn’t locked in yet as I can’t find verification it’s correct. Same thing with incentives since the new model doesn’t seem to be in full circulation yet. Hoping there will be a lease cash offer at the time of signing when the car arrives but I’m being sensible and assuming it won’t. I am assuming Penfed will be valid however. I’m not a returning lease customer and don’t own a BMW, we do have competition leases in the household however (a MB and a RR Sport) and I think for BMWFS this would qualify me if a conquest comes up.

What do you all think?? Please be kind, I’m a little new to this and understand I might have to pay a little extra to play because of what i want. Any constructive feedback is welcome!

First question - as a former 430 owner… Have you actually test driven one?

Personally, hands down - the most underwhelming vehicle I’ve ever driven and the metrics of the deal aside (which tbh don’t look that great to me), I’d never do it again.

That said, I’ll let someone who’s perhaps a bit less biased against the 4 series chime in for a fairer opinion… @Lazarus?

3 Likes

I haven’t no, and since it’s a new redesign i wasn’t sure if test driving a previous model year would be accurate?

I should also add that I haven’t got the deal locked in fully yet, I am still in the negotiation phase but this was what the last round produced and the dealer seems open to proceed on this basis.

I am a bit concerned as a few people warned me I wouldn’t be able to get any discount on this new model - perhaps the dealer won’t actually commit to the negotiated deal?

1 Like

Fair enough - the redesign entirely slipped my mind. My b. Generally speaking, it’s tougher to get discounts on a newly redesigned, so that’s not altogether surprising to hear.

The ask to have someone less biased against the entire series than me chime in still stands, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having a 2019 430 GC and driven a handful of the new 330s, I can say the new G20/22 models are much better than the outgoing F30s. So maybe drive a 330 to compare. But with that said, maybe push a little harder for the discount, or wait until November to see the programs. By then, dealers should have at least a handful to choose from on their lots to negotiate on.

1 Like

@DG-X5 I would definitely attack a '20 m4 if I were willing to pay $700. I drove a 440 once, it wasn’t awful… maybe the 430 was just low on power.

@Jamesb123

New model have to pay to play, don’t expect too many incentives to start off with.

If you know an immediate family member like say a mom,dad, brother, sister, etc etc and you mutually trust each other and they have a bmw in the household, you can have them co-sign to get the loyalty… interesting workaround.

You could get with a broker here on what type of discount off msrp they are getting on incoming stock + orders.

I would definitely drive the new 4 series before I jump on one, if you are looking for a short term lease while you shop Swapalease isn’t a bad idea, find something you like at a solid deal and use the 6 months to shop.

If it were my money I would drive a previous gen m4 over a new 430, the car is just better minus the new tech and i-drive updates.

I would definitely not pay $700 for a 430i, and that’s before I saw the hideous grille. Maybe it looks better in person.

3 Likes

@Lazarus hmmm very insightful so thanks for the comments.

I had no idea a 2020 M4 was even possible at that monthly, I hadn’t even looked as a result. I considered a M2 but they seemed to go for at least 50 p/m more and that would stretch my budget a tad too far (got to draw the line somewhere). Either way perhaps I’ll shop a bit more and expand my search then.

Darn COVID changing deals! I got my '19 430 GC just over a year ago and here was the deal then:

Guess they were moving the 2019s out and had loyalty ($7250 incentives). After having the car for a year now, I do feel the 430 is a bit underpowered for me. I should have dug around for a 440 or M340. Lesson learned and I am already lurking around for my next lease. Haven’t looked at the market in about a year, but assuming leases are not where they were a year ago. Debating going with Lexus ES F Sport, BMW M340 or maybe even a '21 Camry XSE V6 when they come out (waiting to see if they will offer AWD w/ the V6).

@halfrig definitely different times, as well as this one being a newly designed and incoming model. I wish i could get a deal like yours in this situation haha!

I think you might be right, and as others have said, I might grow frustrated of how underpowered it is. Especially after a year or so. I am coming off the back of a GT350 i owned for a few years so it would be apparent rather quickly I fear.

I wish i could get an M2, in manual, for the same monthly.

Please swap into a 2018-2020 M3/M4 competition/CS for the exact same cost. $700/month 430i is highly regrettable

1 Like

@wiresonly I am trying to keep drive off money at no more than 2k (moving from NYC to LA is expensive enough haha). I am assuming that what you mention would involve financing used/certified and with a decent downpayment or leasing with max MSD also down?

I’ve just been looking and couldn’t see any 2020 M3 or M4 in the area that would be that workable on the basis I noted?

M3 doesn’t exist, there’s a generation gap for 2019/2020.

He’s mentioning swapalease.com

Search across the country for the m4, don’t be afraid to pay shipping to find a better deal, paying $600-$800 to save thousands is well worth.

Here’s a starting point.

87k msrp, 74k sales price w/ incentives

1 Like

There is no such thing as a great deal on a purple car. I know to get a great hack you can’t be picky but we have to put your foot down at some point!

@Lazarus thanks again! Yeah i had been looking on swapalease but there wasn’t much i could see that didn’t require a decent initial amount down (at least on the M cars).

I have been looking at the M340i and will also be generally expanding my search to further away to see what alternatives i can come up with.

Appreciate all the posts on here so far from everyone!

M340 would be the best bang for buck imo.

1 Like