Deal Check on Lease-End Purchase 2021 Chevy Bolt EV Premier

Hi, I live in Marin County, CA and have a 2021 Chevy Bolt EV Premier with approx 10,000 miles on it. My lease ends March 2023 and I’m leaning toward purchasing my vehicle but could use a deal check since this isn’t my area of expertise.

The dealer’s total vehicle price for this model was $42,765 but the gross capitalized cost is listed as $38791 with residual value of $22666 (payoff amount). I paid $2798 total for a 3-year lease with various discounts/rebates applied in March 2021. My plan is to purchase the car using cash. So the purchase price of the car plus the amount I’ve already paid for the lease would total $25,464 out-of-pocket. The car is in excellent condition.

The dealer gave me a trade-in value of $17,500. CarMax online offered $16,600 and Edmund’s trade-in value was $19,806. When I check out craigslist or similar sites, I don’t see this same model year available with such low mileage but comparable cars are roughly in the range of $22-25,000.

I got a great deal on the lease and the price of the car compared to its sticker price but the trade-in value estimates have mostly been less than the residual value so I would appreciate more informed views on the value of purchasing this lease.

Thank you!

Not really the best way to think about it.

Just look at the purchase in isolation.

Better off buying a used one under $25k and trying to claim the used clean vehicle credit.

3 Likes

Can you extend the lease to five extra time to make this decision?

If memory serves GMF allows only for one month extension.
If I would be in Your shoes i will look for another EV lease. You still have 3 months to find the deal.
Have You consider Vinfast newbie?