Deal Check - BMW 330i xdrive $48k demo - 360/month, 1100 das (taxes only) (36/10) - MF issues

, , , ,

Effectively thatā€™s how it works out. In reality, itā€™s the bank paying the tax up front, but it would feel like that.

got itā€¦ so effectively next person ends up paying my rolled in taxes + their own taxes on top? interesting

Iā€™m not entirely sure what happens if someone in NY takes over a NY lease as far as taxes go.

1 Like

You sure your docs fees are correct? Seems pretty low for a NJ/PA dealer.

Just went through this with my swap for NY to NY, transferee pays the tax on the monthly payment even though taxes may be capitalized in the monthly payment. Tax is essentially double-taxed at this point in NY.

1 Like

Come on, you know I wrote this up last year. :slight_smile:

A transfer is considered a separate and distinct sale by NY, end of story.

2 Likes

You might be better off swapping into a lease that has 7-12 months left.

Thereā€™s no guarantee BMWFS will still allow transfers in a year

Yep agreed - following the transfers page but havenā€™t found anything matching my criteria just yetā€¦ Honestly the flexibility is what Iā€™m looking for / what I need right now, (and the only thing preventing me from being a proud Volvo ā€˜ownerā€™ (my favorite rental cars for the past 1-2 years).

Agreed it may change at any given point (like MBFS and others did), but I just havenā€™t found the right deal on transfers.

Update - i donā€™t think they know what theyā€™re doingā€¦ (or maybe I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing :grin: )

They sent me a quote with ā€œrebatesā€ for purchase, and then sent me an even lower quote:

• MSRP: $51,xxx
  • Total Dealer Savings: -$12,xxx
  • Total: $38,xxx before taxes & tags

But then they said this was only for purchasing, not for leasing:
This price does not have any incentives included. My managers ran this with dealer discounts only to get to your requested price. Because of this it would financed through a bank, not BMW financial. If you are looking to lease this vehicle we would have to run a different scenario through BMW financial.

Deal check

MSRP: 48,760
Sales price: 36,500 (25.2% discount includes 2,000 fleet discount which they included in overall discounts instead of in incentives)
discount: 25.2%
750 lease cash
MF: 0.00102 (they agreed to .00092 but then said it got marked up because of my credit (ā€˜eliteā€™ not ā€œsuper eliteā€, which is strange because I have a 750+).
Months/miles: 36/10k
Car has ~3800 miles
acq fee: 699
dealer fees 799
registration 450 (they said if these are lower than 450 theyā€™ll refund the rest)
tax: NY 8.625%

Iā€™m paying tax down, and getting the rest capitalized, see calculator. Any thoughts?

Color I wanted, and with convenience package and virtual cockpit which I was looking for. Wouldā€™ve preferred gray with mocha and premium, or the rumored x5 for $450 a month, but you canā€™t have it all :grin:

edit: updated acq fee
Note, for ease the calc is showing it all capitalized. Make tax = 0 to see my actual monthly and whateverā€¦ Calc link: leasehackr.com/calculator?make=BMW&miles=10000&msd=0&msrp=48765&sales_price=36500&months=36&mf=.00102&dp=0&dealer_fee=799&acq_fee=925&taxed_inc=750&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=0&resP=58&reg_fee=450&sales_tax=8.625&demo_mileage=3800&memo=make%20tax%20%3D%200%20to%20see%20my%20actual%20monthly%20and%20stuff%20(chose%20to%20pay%20tax%20up%20front).%20&zero_driveoff=true&totalLeaseTax_radio=true&dealerFee_check=false&govFee_check=false

We agreed on 0.00092 before running my credit. Now theyā€™re trying to mark it up to .0012 claiming that I havenā€™t leased before. Iā€™ve got a 750-790 but he claims Iā€™m ā€œeliteā€ not ā€œsuper eliteā€.

Any thoughts here? Iā€™ve read the credit pages but not sure if I have a case to push back on here. .00092 was annoying but okay given discount. 0.0012 is actually bothering me because I feel theyā€™re just trying to add money back into the deal for themselves.

Did they provide you, in writing, a disclosure stating what cost increase was being done because of your credit or did they just verbally say ā€œhey, we are bumping your price, here is a new quote?ā€

They are FedEx sending me the papers with the updated MF. Not sure whether it will be disclosed there. So far only verbally let me know it was raised due to the ā€œelite not super elite creditā€

Is that something I should ask for in writing? Does that make a difference?

The truth in lending act requires them to notify you of any adverse financial actions taken as a result of your credit. If that isnā€™t provided, itā€™s be a good sign that the credit market isnā€™t required by the bank.

Good deal. At $392 a month which would have been whats in the title if you rolled it all in roughly is a very good deal.

I am paying $437/ month with tax included (NJ), and did sign and drive in May of 2020. MSRP on my M sport was just under $54K.

The truth in lending act requires them to notify you of any adverse financial actions taken as a result of your credit.

He said heā€™s never had to provide a document to account for BMWFSā€™s credit decisions. Says MF mark up from .00082 to .00102 is due to my auto-adjusted credit score. Most of the bureaus show me at 750-780, he says my auto-adjusted is in the 720s [i donā€™t recall exact number he said] because I havenā€™t had car loan/lease beforeā€¦ ??? He said heā€™ll check with BMWFS to see what he can provide me with.

He said for Tier A credit it needs to be 740+ (which differs from the 720 that Iā€™ve seen on this forum and others as ā€œTier Aā€).

A marked up MF due to non-existent car loan history is totally reasonable and to be expected, so no big surprise there.

Iā€™m searching for the verbiage on the disclosure requirements.

edit: I was incorrect, itā€™s not the Truth in lending act that requires disclosures, itā€™s the Fair Credit Reporting Act that requires disclosure when a higher rate is given based on credit worthiness. To be fair, this would be required as part of the contract (and most dealers provide credit disclosures to everyone, even though they arenā€™t required).

2 Likes

Thanks for finding that, I was looking at the TILA act and didnā€™t see anything relevant on disclosuresā€¦
Yeah, I guess just surprised MF was marked up 20 points. Thought 10 points with high 700s score was enough.

At the end of the day I guess itā€™s a good deal, just annoying to have them adjust after I was cool with numbers

Did you agree to numbers before your credit was run? Yes.

If youā€™re annoyed about numbers being agreed to based on top tier credit, then changing after you submit credit, thats not on them. Thatā€™s based on your credit and your credit alone.

Dealers want to put deals together. If the bank says, ā€œbump,ā€ they bump and try to keep the deal together. The bank needs to cover themselves for higher risk buyers.

The dealer youā€™re working with has some very good people there. Its time to shit or get off the pot. If your credit doesnā€™t get you top tier, it is what it is. The discount is very strong and youre not going to see it again for some time.

Youā€™ve been working on this for how long now? Itā€™s time to just do the deal.

Sometimes you need to know when its time to stop pushing for more, more, more.

3 Likes

Yeah all fair, I am going ahead with this unless there are other things that pop up. Iā€™m not looking for ā€œmore more moreā€, Iā€™ve seen Plenty of posts where hackers are like ā€œwell nice discount but you got hit on the MF so that kind of negates itā€, trying not to be that person. Iā€™ve only been working on this deal since ~12/26, and Iā€™ve moved quickly provided paperwork docs and whatnot, meanwhile they delayed stuff and ended up having my docs sent to the wrong place.

Iā€™m sure you can figure what dealer Iā€™m working with, and Iā€™m sure they have very good people working there, but my experience hasnā€™t been all that ā€œgreatā€. I get itā€™s a busy time and Iā€™m ā€œonlyā€ getting a 330, but itā€™d be nice if they got stuff done right in the timeframe thatā€™s to be expected.

My credit is fine, my adjusted credit apparently is not, thatā€™s not really foreseeable given that I donā€™t know what they ā€œadjustā€ and how much each factor weighs. Apparently paying everything on time, having lots of credit available, low debt to income, and all the rest of it is not enough.

1 Like