Deal Check - 2024 RAM 1500 BIG HORN 4X4 CREW - $506.61/monthly // 36/10k

I don’t want another SUV. We already have an SUV and based on the things I have needed from my vehicle (and not had) in recent history, having a truck would have almost always solved the problem.

You lost me on the ‘What can I buy for 10K” thread. I am not seeing that anywhere and I also don’t understand the ‘waiting’ reference.

To elaborate on why I chose Ram…. I have spent the last month researching used trucks and from hundreds of hours of getting into the weeds this is where I stand…in the absence of being able to control for good maintenance (buying used)…

-GMs have issues due to DFM/AFM which will require the engine to be replaced. There is class action lawsuit pending.

-Fords have settled class action lawsuits on their 10 speed which comes in every new(er) f150. Their DOHC engines are also complex and prone to serious failure.

-Ram 5.7 hemi has a mechanical flaw that CAN potentially cause lifter failure and the HEMI tick… the ‘tick’ also may just be exhaust manifolds which is far more likely but far less serious.

-Toyotas…got it. They have reputation (albeit inflated for the trucks that have brand new power train) for being ridiculously reliable and this causes insane used car prices….

BLUF of all that is that every manufacturer has their problems as they relate to major powertrain issues. These conditions increase in likelihood with decrease in maintenance and increase of usage.

This led me (originally looking at used) to examine warranty programs. What I found in warranty programs is that if I can find a RAM in the certified or still in its powertrain warranty, I can extend the warranty through MOPAR and will actually be covered if those lifters failed and ultimately, while there is a mechanical flaw, there are conditions (minimal idling, replacing oil pump with high volume variant) that can be controlled for to decrease probability of failure. The warranty covering what I wouldn’t be able to control for (previous maintenance)

Ultimately, I just want to buy something that isn’t going to be a sunk ship… I don’t expect any vehicle to be maintenance free but as long as the powertrain survives I can live with the other maintenance. In terms of that aspect RAM seems like the best bet.

Look for a 2023. They’ve got deeper discounts right now and $4500 in lease cash for Big Horn trims.

1 Like

I’m around 10-12% off tundras. But you’ll likely have equity at lease end making them the same price or cheaper. Of course that’s not a guarantee but if used values stay similar to what 2022 tundras are selling for then you’ll have a few thousand in equity.

I thought I reached out on your thread… I will double check and send you a message in accordance with whatever your thread prefers.

Edit: I read your thread. Thought about reaching out but never got around to texting you. I will shoot you a text sometime in the coming days once I digest what you have posted so far.

Edit #2: Sent you a text. -Joe

1 Like

Yeah the discount they gave me on a 2024 was like 13% so the RAM is definitely seeming like the best bet. I did however stumble onto another thread about CDJR and ALLY leasing and its kind of turning me off to commit to the terms and then potentially the lease contract stipulations (buy out details, ‘smart lease’ etc) blow up the deal and I just waited two months and still don’t have a vehicle.

I might’ve missed that. Was this an Ally lease quoted above or CDJR?

Thank you for your service and sacrifices. Have you checked the incentives on this? I didn’t see a breakdown but some companies in the past have doubled down on veteran discounts during this month for Veteran’s day.

1 Like

I am not sure. I haven’t gotten that far into the lease as I was just feeling out the numbers and trying to decide.

Would a Tacoma work for you?

I have not checked that. I also don’t fully understand the incentives. I was assuming that using a broke they were going to try to get the best possible incentivized deal since that makes the likelihood of closing the deal go up but I also see a bunch of incentives on the calculator that are all super specific and weird. Still trying to understand all that.

At first I was almost exclusively considering mid-sized trucks. I just think one of the big things that we end up doing a lot in the military is driving across country due to a move or to see relatives and it would be very very nice to have a crew cab on a full size where the kids have buffer space and can’t kick our seats. I have already driven the entire perimeter of the US in a Acadia and then again a Durango, I think the short time I rented a Ram crew cab was the most comfortable we have been in a vehicle.

If I get a smaller truck I was looking at a maverick or something I could just finance new… but I don’t want to buy something that just ends up not solving the main problems that had me looking at a full size.

I appreciate your back and forth with me on this.

Thank you for your service. Since you are a super supporter you should definitely take some time and play around with the different incentives. If I use a Ft Benning zip there is a potential total of $7500 in incentives on a 2023 Big Horn 4x4 5’7" box if you can find one that you like. Also a very low MF using CCAP (not SFS) so you are paying mostly depreciation if your goal is to buy it out at the end. 5k of standard incentives and then $1000 Ram website TDM, $500 military, and $1000 loyalty if you still have that Durango(?) for $7500 total. I recently picked up a 2023 Laramie trim and very happy with it so far.

2 Likes

Yeah so I was playing around with the calculator but I don’t understand what deals apply and what don’t. The broker giving me 13% off MSRP was a massive deal (it seemed), but I will go back and mess with the calculator. I have never leased before let alone thought about leasing so bit out of my depth here. No I don’t have the Durango. We sold both our vehicles before we went to Korea so yeah.

Make sure you are looking at a 2023 on the calculator, they have $5000 in general incentives for the Big Horn using that GA zip, the 2024 doesn’t have anything. And start looking around at inventory to see if you can find a 2023 with the options you are looking for. Good luck!

1 Like

I see what you are saying now. I changed the months randomly to 39 and that was the first time I saw ‘general incentives’, before then I only saw all the super niche program incentives.

1 Like

Hi Jaskwith,

Thank you for your service e to ur great Nation, numero uno! If you plan is to keep the truck, which BTW, great choice! I have had 3 RAM 1500’s and they’re amazing. Make sure to get the 8-speed transmission. In my humble opinion, and I have been in this situation before, I would consider buying upfront. You will end up paying a lot more in the long run between the 3 year cost of the lease and then buying out the remaining principle on another loan later. Not to mention you have to pay for a State Inspection and tag/title/registration fees all over to put into your name alone on the buy out. So if you figure you would be potentially looking at a total of 8 years between two loans, look at an 84 month financing outright up front. You’re payment will be a little higher yes, but if you can go a couple hundred more a month, then it is worth considering. You can even try to make additional principle payments throughout the loan which will in the end up lowering the total payments made and interest charges. Sometimes Chrysler Financial has subtend rates for long term financing and certainly Navy FCU or USAA do as well. I did a quick calculation with $5k down @ 84 months and depending on the rate you can get you would be in the mid-$700’s. However again consider all the additional charges you will have to pay on the buyout and the net difference is lower out of pocket. Best of luck I hope this helps.

Cheers and God Speed.

Andy Perez

Andy,

Thanks. Yeah I think the problem is that I just cannot afford much right now but with the used car market I don’t want to over extend and then have something break down because of some undisclosed history that doesn’t appear on carfax etc.

If we weren’t just returning from overseas with no car I would definitely just wait until conditions improve or until I could build up a better figure to put down or something… This is why I was looking primarily used… but with used it just seems that the payment is around what a lease would cost. I know that the lease to buy out the lease isn’t good financial decision but for me splitting it into two different amounts to finance makes it more ‘affordable’ and solves a problem. The inefficiency of this model described in the fees at each finance right now are looking like convenience costs. This is the dilemma I am finding myself in currently.

I have investments and savings, I just don’t want to tap into those right now.

It’s crazy… I don’t understand how people afford these 700+/month payments. The Army says that I make over 90K in entitlements but after taxes and three kids and a mortgage…. I feel more poor now than I did when I first enlisted lol….

I do thank everyone who is contributing to this thread. I wonder if I should change the name from Deal Check: Dodge Ram to ‘Deal Check: Joe’s Life’ lol….

Thank your friendly neighborhood Federal Reserve bank for printing us into poverty

most of them probably barely can

1 Like

This is the thread I mentioned earlier. IDK if it’s going to be very helpful if you’re set on something like a full-size 4-door pickup but just throwing it out there.

For those who want to wait for the market to get better and need rear leg space, a Mercury Grand Marquis or 2001-2006 Lexus LS isn’t the worst choice. Or a first gen Sequoia if you need more utility.

1 Like

I get it for sure. I have two children and feeding the 4 of us even making good money it’s still a struggle after everything. Not to mention being taxed on every side. The cost of living even being frugal is tough. The used prices are still high especially on trucks. They just don’t really drop a lot even with high miles, Jeep’s are the same way. You have try to see if any dealers have a new demo or a 2023 they really to to move and get a higher discount and also lease. I know the last RAM 1500 I purchased I got like $10k with all the incentives. Best of luck my friend.

Cheers,

Andy Perez

1 Like