Deal Check: 2021 Subaru Forester

Hello All, new to leasing just wondering what you all think of this offer i have

2021 Subaru Forester Limited

MSRP: 33,417
Selling: 31,017
Money Factor: 0.0011%
Lease: 36 with 0 Down
Monthly: 395$

Gov fees/Acquisition cost included in the above price and no dive off amount, nothing due at signing.

Let me know what you all think

@JD81, @28firefighter are the people I’d ask about subaru.

Thanks for tagging them in!

Seems like a great deal i don’t think there is any current incentives for foresters. But base MF, residual I think is 64% someone can correct me. Dependent on fees I see you at 7.2 off. For me I would say get me to 10% and base MF as you have and I will sign today. That would get you another 25-27 off a month, worse they can do is say no or split the difference.

Shoot for 10% off and you have a deal. If you’ve previously had a Subaru, call Subaru of America customer service and ask if they have any loyalty coupons they can offer you. Usually $500-$1000 off on top.

1 Like

Thanks for the Tips everyone, i will def try to shoot for 10% off, now this deal is with a “friends” discount and the selling price is the dealership invoice price. So maybe i can haggle this 10% from this old acquaintance of mine

Any tips on the angle i should take i guess, if said person knows this would be my 1st lease and my inexperience

Honestly as mentioned above I can pin two dealers against one another and get 10% easy in my region which is hard to do. I hate the “friends” discount because it’s not real. I just went through the same where they were friends with the SM. He gave them a smoking deal he called it at 8% off, we called two other dealers and had the forester for 12% Off . They threw in a cargo all weather liner as well.

1 Like

Two things to look into:

1. Check to see if VIP pricing would work in your favor. Basically, its a no-haggle price 2-4% below invoice on each Subaru model. Sometimes, a generous dealer will discount you to this level without VIP, but that seems to be rare. To become VIP you donate to Subaru’s favored charities (ASPCA is one example). Its a not insignificant donation for immediate access to VIP (there are some charities that offer lower donations but require a long wait before access to VIP) but its deductible, and also you will most likely save much more than the donation on the cost of the vehicle

2. Some folks on the various Subaru forums have had luck with loyalty coupons if you contact Subaru of America. Generally, you need to have a Subaru prior to the one you are trying to lease/buy. Coupons ranges from $250-500 and rumors of higher. This is applied AFTER you negotiate your lease–its considered cash down by the dealer.

I was able to lease a 2020 Ascent Premium with tow hitch and other accessories for $415/mo with $415 out the door (first payment), including all taxes and fees. This was pre-covid, so things are likely changed now. My MSRP was in the $40s, IIRC. Subarus arent known for ‘leasing well’-- but these two items are key to making a lease on a subaru work, IMO, outside of leveraging a broker who may have relationships to do better.

Got ya, so really the best option is seeking out other dealerships and seeing what i can do, ( Even though they are hour and change a part in either direction if I’m in the middle)

Sirk! thanks ill check both those options out

Although just reading real quick

" * You must be a member of your IMBA Local group for at least 6 months before you may take advantage of this offer."

This squashes that 1st idea lol

I have never seen a friends deal actually end up being a great deal. Half the time they’re barely mediocre and the other half of the time it is clear they don’t want to be friends.

4 Likes

I shop vehicles five states away if I can save a few thousand and most of the time it’s a few hundred to ship.

1 Like

O wow thats something to consider, - Ill def shop outside my state.

But because of my poor planning im on a time crunch for this lease as its more of a gift -_-

" * You must be a member of your IMBA Local group for at least 6 months before you may take advantage of this offer. "

The larger donation to ASPCA gets you access in a day or two

The 6 month cooling period is usually for smaller donations

Oh thanks good to know!

@JD81 @sirk98 @28firefighter So in general having different quotes, is it best to be as blunt as possible when reaching out again trying to match our put against dealerships. “Hey this other dealer is offering XXX, can you go down to XXX”

Offer them what you want. I don’t believe in directly pitting dealers against another. If they ask how you reached this number, just let them know that based on you’re research, this is the number you want to pay.

1 Like

BTW, I have a couple friends with Subarus. I know the loyalty coupon is YMMV anyway, but would I be able to use their VIN for verification, or do they track ownership some other way?

They track ownership.

Bummer, thanks