Deal check: 2021 RDX Tech AWD - $428/mo

Hi! I’m pretty new to the LeaseHackr community and did a bunch of research in a very short amount of time before shopping around, so asking for forgiveness if any of this is wrong. I do feel much better informed this time around than 3 years ago when I was pulling numbers out of nowhere (embarrassing, now that I look back on it). I wanted a gut check on this deal on a 2021 RDX Tech AWD that we’re about to sign. We can’t help but think the sales price can be lower based on what I’ve seen shared in the forums and there’s something we’re missing. This was the initial dealer we visited, and this was their revised offer after getting a competitive offer from another dealer that they wanted to beat:

MSRP: $44,825
Selling price before rebates: $41,884
Rebate: conquest - $1000
Incentive: $500
Trade in equity: $1600
MF: .00095
Res: 58% (36/12k)
DAS taxes/fees: $2668
Monthly: $428

I couldn’t use the calculator properly because the dealer manipulated the numbers a bit in order to match the monthly the other dealer offered. Attaching the full breakdown in case it helps! Thanks in advance.

Post a link to your best attempt at the LH calculator

Your trade in is not an incentive. It is essentially cash being paid das.

This is $428/mo with $4268.54 das basically.

How much direct to dealer incentives is rolled into your sales price? (What did Edmunds five you for incentives?)

Had a feeling I put the $1600 in the wrong place. $500 incentive from Edmunds.

So your selling price is $42384 then, with $1000 in taxed incentives and $500 in untaxed incentives.

This deal looks horrible. Keep the trade out of the deal and sell it to whoever gives you the highest amount.

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (Blog | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator, and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

Thanks - had a feeling something was off. Appreciate the info. We leased through US Bank which complicates matters, so the easiest route seemed to be trading in and applying the equity where we planned to lease from. I got the car appraised at other dealers and the buyout vs residual didn’t seem significant enough for it to be worth it.

Why does that complicate matters? Vroom, carvana, shift, carmax etc.

If this dealer is really giving you more than anybody else will, just have them cut you a check for the equity. But rarely that’s the case.

Based on the research I’ve done on here I was under the impression that US Bank doesn’t allow sales to Vroom, Carvana etc. but seems as though I’m wrong about that.

You may be right, I’m not an expert on US Bank policies.

If they’ll only sell it to a physical dealer, I guess you have to get offers from several. You should be able to get quotes via email/phone.

Got it. Yea, I did from 3 others. All were less than what this Acura dealer was willing to offer.

They may be showing a higher trade in value in exchange for a mediocre discount on the new vehicle.

That’s what I was thinking. They swore over and over that this sales price was below invoice and couldn’t go lower even though the negotiated discounts I’ve seen on here were much larger. I’ll start over with new Acura dealers and leave the trade in out of it until I’ve already negotiated a better deal.

i may be half asleep, but i think i’m like a g cheaper than this??

Those shadows are… unusual…

3 Likes

Haha those were my thoughts exactly when this was texted to me from the dealer

1 Like

Update: went to a few new dealers and got the following. No trade in equity but they are getting us out of our lease early and covering our last payment ($330), plus we wont have the disposition fee ($395) - which was negotiated after we had landed on these terms. I think this is structured better, even with landing on the same monthly but curious what the community thinks:

MSRP: $44,325
Selling price: $39,896
Rebate: $1,000 conquest
MF: .00095
Res: 58% (36/12k)
DAS - taxes/fees/first month: $2697
Monthly: $428

How is this better than your initial post? That one has a higher MSRP too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.