Deal check: 2021 CX5 Carbon Edition

Too little off of MSRP?
$29184 after rebates

Other offers I got had similar or little more of MSRP
and same MF but 20-70/month more.

When you research comparable deals here, what do you find for pre-incentive discounts?

Is there such a thing? Do your research, make an offer of $X per month all-in based on knowing discount, incentives, RV and MF.

If they get there, who cares how? Kahu, LoJack, Simonize, whatever

Didn’t see to many CX5 carbon edition deals listed.

I was thinking the deal was good but now I am not sure. Leasehackr has it at. 7.8. I was figuring it’s well below the calculation I have read of $125 for every $10,000 which would put it at $375+ per month.

The LH score and some percent of msrp metric are useless for evaluating if this is a good deal or not. Look at other cx5 deals and broker deals to get a target.

The dealer told me that this deal is s-plan pricing at invoice without markup. She said this is given to Mazda employees. It doesn’t seems that way when I look at the pre-incentive discount but the monthly prices is the best I have gotten after several negotiations with zero down payment leases.

So what is different in this deal than in the other deals to get to a lower monthly? If others have the same mf and more of a discount, why is their monthly higher?

Get a broker instead.

Tried a broker and the monthly payment was over 80 per month higher with same zero down, just taxes and fees.

That would mean the broker was charging something like $2k over MSRP, which I don’t see any of the brokers here doing. Was it broker from LH you talked to?

Have you ran a calculator to see if the listed lease terms in your first post actually generate that payment?

When I see multiple posts about other dealers offering better discounts at the same mf and being thousands more, it tells me that there is some grave misunderstanding in some of the numbers somewhere.

I know that is where I am stuck. These are two of the deals. The second one didn’t give the actual total for discount off of MSRP. This is where I am stuck because the deals are slightly different but the monthly payment is significantly different. How should I be looking at this differently?

2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition AWD
MSRP: 31,480
Selling Price: 30,684
Terms: 36 months/10k miles
Down Payment: no down payment - $2525 (1st month payment, taxes, fees & DMV)
Incentives: $1500 rebates
MF: .00042
RV: 60%
Monthly Payment: $306 per month

2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition AWD
MSRP: 31,545
Selling Price: ?
Terms: 36 months/10k miles
Down Payment: no down payment - $2600 (1st month payment, taxes, fees & DMV)
Incentives: $1500 rebates
MF: .00042
RV: ?
Monthly Payment: $334 per month

You should always work out your target pricing before ever talking to a dealer. You need a foundation by which to judge these.

Do this:

1. Read Leasing 101 (EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator, and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

What’s so special about a CX5 that you’re so fixated on it? There are a million choices in that segment

Nothing special. I like my current CX5 and like the carbon edition styling. With Covid I didn’t really want to start test driving a bunch of vehicles to see which I prefer so this seems like a safe option for this lease.

In that case, why not buy your current CX5?

No not a LH broker.

Yeah ran the quote on LH and other calculator and came up with the same payment - $306 per month. I am confused with the offers I received as this one was the best I found on a carbon edition with no money down and just taxes and fees upfront. This has been the confusing part in figuring out what is the best deal. I know it’s not recommended to negotiate based on monthly payments but if the other factors are the same or similar (discount off of MSRP and MF) and the same terms then is it wrong to just assume the lowest monthly payment is the best deal?

Thanks

If the discount and mf are the same, the monthly will be the same, unless there are hidden fees/add ons, etc. You can’t compare the deals without knowing what they actually are.

Another way to look at that is if you have two deals that have the same terms and same fees and one of the deals is cheaper, it’s not that one is better, it’s that one is wrong.

A post was split to a new topic: CX-5 AWD Carbon Edition

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.