Deal Check: 2020 XC60 T5 Inscription AWD - Loaner w/ 4500 Mi

Hey Everyone,

Do you mind giving me your thoughts on the proposed deal below? Additionally, I have a few specific questions regarding Loaners at the bottom.

MSRP: $52,945
Selling Price: $44,700
Pre-Incentive Discount: 16%~

Incentive 1: $1,500 (First Responder - Midwest)
Incentive 2: $2,000 (Lease Cash)
Price W/ Incentives: $41,200
Total Discount: 22%~

Term: 36 M/ 12K Miles
Residual 58.3% (60% - $900 for mileage)
MF: .00131
MSD: 0
Fees: $1,305 (Acq, Dealer, Temp Tag…Reg not included)
Tax: 7% (included)

Monthly: $400.50
Due at Sign: $1,950.50

I get about a $200 discrepancy when I run the calculator using the dealer’s numbers. You’ll note I reduce the sell price by $200 in the calculator to account for it.

Questions:

1. Anything in particular I should pay special attention to when inspecting the car at pickup since it’s a loaner? Any specific questions I should ask regarding in service date, warranty or included maintenance?

2. Is there a free way to verify that the car hasn’t been in an accident (other than paying for a carfax)?

3. What is a good price to aim for on Volvo VIP Tire & Wheel Protection - Premium Coverage? Steingold offers it for about $900, but I wasn’t sure if you guys have seen better? It has the 20 inch Inscription wheels on it if that matters.

Thank you in advance for your help! Also, this deal is not repeatable as it’s one of only a few loaners the dealer has.

Hello
Regarding Your queastion number 3.
Please read this from Volvo website. Do You really need tire and wheel protection.
https://www.volvocarfinancialservices.com/excess-wear-and-use#remove-message

Thanks for providing that link @jassiek. The roads around me get pretty rough and I’ve managed to blow 3 tires and bend 1 rim in the last 3 years with my Audi S5 Sportback on 19 inch rims. I know it’s comparing apples to oranges, but the coverage may be worth the piece of mind depending on the price I can get.

Thanks!

Looks to me this is from IL. I just signed a new 2020 XC60 T5 Inscription as well, MSRP was 54,895, pre-incentive discount was 13.9%. I had to pay 600 in shipping since it was a pretty custom build XC60. Monthly payment was $460 + $40 in Chicago use tax.

This is a good deal, but why are you not using MSDs? Can sweeten the deal more.

1. When you pick up the car, do a normal check. Check the tires, check the condition of the leather and rest of interior. Check the frame to see any scratches. Make sure you have all the keys, mats, booklets. Verify odometer.

Since this is a loaner, your final mileage will be at around 40k. See what extra maintenance you need to do after 30k miles (usual lease mileage).

1. Just use CarFax and see. The chances your car was in an accident are pretty slim, and if so the dealer would have fixed it. If you want to be safe, just ask them.

2. Don’t get tire and wheel protection. I live in Chicago and can guarantee my streets are worse than yours. Not sure if you got the Advanced package, but mine has the 360 cameras and park assist so it greatly helps against curb rash.

Enjoy the car, it’s an absolute yacht.

I don’t think you need tire and wheel, not at $900

Excess Wear and Tear - maybe depending on your usage and their price for it.

Thanks @achen0913! I’m still considering the MSDs as that would push the price to around $361 a month including tax…which would be pretty terrific. I’m still weighing the option to invest that money with how low the market is vs. tying it up in MSDs. Likely a game time decision.

Hey @jeisensc where are you seeing those prices on wheels? In my quick searching on dealer sites i keep seeing around $500-$600 for 20 inch wheels. Maybe I don’t understand the rebate portion of that response.

Understood. It looks like you have the cash laying around, so MSDs are the obvious choice. Using MSDs is a guaranteed 20%+ return on your money. You would be hard pressed to guarantee that returns on the market. If it’s between the market or MSDs, do the MSDs

Not on the dealership websites but buying the OEM rims/tires online. But if you buy from a Volvo dealer, you might be able to use a Customer Care rebate (the best is 30% up to $200) - see in this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?615423-Polestar-software-upgrade-at-a-discount-anywhere-Who-paid-what#/topics/615423

This one may be too far away for you, but reference @Bostoncarconcierge’s latest XC60 T5 Ins. Demo.

In this case, it’s 10.8% ROI per year. While that’s definitely a higher guaranteed rate than you’ll get on pretty much anything else, with how low the market is right now, for someone with less risk adversion, this may be a better investment in the market. Normally, I’m all for MSDs as an investment, but a depressed market opens new opportunities.

1 Like

I thought first responder was $2k right now? There’s also $2000 lease bonus cash in the midwest (I used Chicago’s zip)

@Bostoncarconcierge 's deal on that XC60 is great and honestly I used it as my goal when negotiating with my “localish” dealer. I would have gone to him, but I was looking for an AWD spec.

1 Like

Yeah it seems that the first responder incentive is 2k on the east coast, but all of the midwest dealers I’ve reached out to are only offering $1,500 for some reason. I think the $2,000 lease cash is a “to dealer” incentive, so it wasn’t broken out separately in my deal calc. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that.

yes, it was definitely rolled into your discount amount. For proper comparison with other deals, however, you should separate it out. We always talk about comparing “pre-incentive” discounts, as that’s the best way to normalize the deal for different markets/personal situations. Remember that the information you put in these threads is as much about getting you a good deal as it is about leaving data points for the next person, so having the most accurate data possible is helpful.

@mllcb42 I updated it to show pre-incentive discount and post-incentive. That should help for future comparison.

1 Like

Either of you have kids? About to have our first and been looking at the XC90 but the wife thinks it might be too big for her to drive… Given the situation, can’t get her out to test drive, but I’ve driven the 90 as a rental and loved it. Curious if you had thoughts on the size of the 60 w car seat/cargo space. Understand I can look up dimensions but sometimes better to get opinions

Hey @FusephMcGazy. I don’t have kids, so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt. I’m 6’4" and when it comes to mid-size SUVs I found the the XC60 to be one of the most comfortable for me in both the front and back seats. That being said I’m sure you could easily fit one car seat and still comfortably fit 3 average to large adults comfortably.

This vehicle is actually for my girlfriend and she felt the same way about the XC90 being too big for her to be comfortable driving. I actually plan on leasing an XC90 here in a few months for myself, just because I like the size of the vehicle more for my everyday driver.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Very helpful! I appreciate it

An xc60 would be just fine with one kid. The 90 doesn’t given you significantly more room in the 2nd row. If you can fit what you need in the back of the xc60, you’ll be fine.