Deal Check: 2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD + GT Premium MSRP: $34,435, DAS: $800, $439.94

Hi Folks! I’m a long time lurker, first time leaser - appreciate the feedback/help in advance.

Before I get into the numbers I want to call out that I recognize this is a bad deal BUT am hoping that I could use the info gathered here to salvage it or shop around.

Year, Make, Model, Trim, and Package: 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD + GT Premium Pkg
MSRP: $34,435
Sales Price: $32,806 (does not include incentive)
DAS: $800 (this was an estimate from Finance but I would likely pay first month, acquisition fee, license, title dealer fee upfront - $1,822)
Incentives: $750 (Loyalty)
Monthly Payment: $439.94
Region: Midwest (WI)
Lease Details: 36/12

RV: 58%
MF: 0.00101

Based on my research:

• TMV: According to Edmunds it is $33,105 (after loyalty). After talking with the finance person they mentioned the sales price above is $300 under invoice, which checks out with Edmunds. I figure there is a little wiggle room here but probably not much.
  • MF: According to Edmunds, the MF should be .00001 so they marked it up quite a bit.

Here’s the deal I think I can make:
MSRP: $34,435
Sales Price: $32,000 (before incentive)
Incentive: $750
DAS: $1,822
MF: .00001
Monthly Payment: $342
Leasehackr Calculator

While I’m still not crazy about the deal I think I can make, I think the best option may be to wait for new lease incentives in Nov/Dec as they try to get rid of the 2020s.

I would expect there to be a few thousand dollars worth of movement available here. That mf mark up accounts for about $2000 in mark up, meaning this is a deal at over MSRP when you adjust for the mark up.

You should shoot for 8% off before incentives and base money factor. Assuming you confirmed the incentives. At least last month there were two loyalty incentives in my region.

I pretty much made that deal, my MSRP was slightly higher (paint maybe?) but my MF was 0.00001, my payment is $345

Stop pushing a Mazda-sized boulder uphill and check better deals on other brands.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t hold you breath - most 2020s will be gone by month end. 2021s are going to arrive end of October. Might be a few stragglers but everyone’s inventory is low.

Essentially $1k below invoice is pretty strong deal in a small market given the conditions. I would shoot for something like this and if they don’t come close, take your business to another brand or another Mazda dealership.

Does Mazda lease bad historically? I’m curious, because I’ve also been researching CX-5 and CX-30 among other consumer brand compact SUVs.

I haven’t seen a good one in a while.

Meanwhile Honda suffers the stereotype of not leasing well yet CRV, Passport and Pilot have had good leases recently.