CX5 GT offer from Vroom 4k over lease buyout, residual

Got it… thank you

Positive equity is a beautiful thing. But, IF you plan to lease a new car in the next month or two or three you will be forced to pay a little more for that new lease. In today’s market, dealers do NOT want your business IF you try to negotiate an aggressive deal. Dealers are sitting on their limited inventory until someone walks in willing to pay a little more for the new car.

So, you might need to use some of that positive equity to pay a little more for a lease than you would in a normal market. I suggest you take a quick look at a broker’s posted deal for the new car you have in mind and see how much of the positive equity you will need to use to get into a new lease.

Happy hunting.

5 Likes

@824 Yes… I have found dealers are not budging currently. I’ve walked away from some negotiations with Audi and Mercedes… was told they can’t do any better at this time, check back in few months. It doesn’t help where I am either, Seattle, Bellevue area. I think I am going to gamble and keep checking Vroom monthly until I am a month or so from lease end and check buyout again as well.

I heard BMW of portland was digging, you might want to check out the NorCal market if you can.

1 Like

I think you are playing your hand well.

You know you are sitting on positive equity - bolstered by hot demand for used cars since new car inventory is low. You are also sharpening your pencil on the outline of a really good deal. Well played.

I have noticed a few opportunistic deals pop up on here - moreso on BMW/Volvo than MB/Audi. I don’t think they are in the PNW - mostly CA and NorEast. Keep your eyes open and be ready to pounced if you see something you like. You just might be in a new car before long - luck will need to smile on you. Good luck.

1 Like

@HersheySweet Nice. Thank you. Will expand to PDX as well then.

Make sure your bank allows selling directly to 3rd party. I had to buy my car and then sell it to carvana

It was mentioned upthread but I’ll say it again, OP you need to call Mazda or go online and get your current lease payoff as of today.

The only thing for we know for certain is that Vroom offered a higher amount today than what you’ll be able to buy the car for in 5 months time, which in effect doesn’t mean squat.

See how much real positive equity you have today (Vroom offer - current payoff), then see if you want to pursue it further.

And when you call Mazda capital press the option for dealer so you can get the payoff for a dealer sometimes is different from your payoff.

If you intend on getting another Mazda, I believe Mazda has a 6-month pull-ahead right now and at least the Mazda broker in Florida offers an amazing price for people returning Mazda leases. So if you want another Mazda, do the math to see if you make more money going directly into another Mazda instead of selling it to vroom. Of course if you’re not getting another Mazda, then this is irrelevant.

Pull ahead won’t get OP equity though… it’ll just waive the remaining payments.

1 Like

Yes that’s true but there is a huge loyalty discount when returning a lease as opposed to the loyalty discount for when there is another Mazda in the household (or no loyalty discount). That discount could potentially be larger than the cash from Vroom

1 Like

Gotcha- not familiar with Mazda’s at all, so very helpful to know and for OP to consider :slight_smile:

Here’s a current example when purchasing a new Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring.
Save $20 month returning a Mazda lease over having a Mazda in the household (2 variants of loyalty). $720 total.
Save $44 month returning a Mazda lease over no loyalty whatsoever. $1584 total.

Vroom deal looks betterer

Dumb question but what do you mean by digging?

Yeah it’s a good deal but for the OP vroom looks better, 4500 is a big chunk.

Just means seems to be discounting more than other dealers.

Which state did you do this if you dont mind me asking? In California, buying and reselling must be within 10 days to avoid paying sales tax, hence asking.

That’s what I figured. Thanks.

I am in Florida the buyout quote from my bank already included the taxes