Currently you can't transfer Mercedes leases

Mercedes had a class action lawsuit against them for a faulty part inside a motor that went bad after the warranty, and the class won (well, technically Mercedes settled). Was there a legal contract for that part not being faulty?

Yes, its called tort law. If there is a harm or injury done willfully or negligently that causes a damage, there is a legal expectation for that to be resolved.

2 Likes

Could you not argue ending this program was done willfully and negligently and caused financial harm to many?

You could, but torts is for physical or mental injury, contract law is for financial issues

1 Like

I don’t see how anyone could successfully claim wilful negligence and grave harm over stopping to offer a courtesy service.

3 Likes

From the article you posted:

This Mercedes-Benz engine defect class action lawsuit was originally filed in 2012 by plaintiffs Majeed Seifi and Tracey Deakin, who allege that certain Mercedes-Benz vehicles were equipped with engines containing defective gears that would wear out prematurely without warning. This alleged engine defect would cause the “check engine” light to turn on and cause the car to misfire or stop driving all together. Repairs for this engine defect typically cost Mercedes-Benz consumers several thousand dollars and required them to go without a car for several days in a row.

The plaintiffs further allege the automobile company knew of the Mercedes-Benz engine defect since 2007, since during that year the company distributed service bulletins to its dealers on how MB technicians should diagnose and replace the allegedly defective engine parts. However, Mercedes-Benz allegedly did not inform consumers of the defect at that time and instead concealed the engine problems.

So there is that, and they settled.

:point_up:t2::point_up:t2:

It’s pointless to continue to argue this on a message board. If you believe you have standing to sue, bring a copy of your lease agreement to a lawyer in your state and see what they think, and let us know.

I know at least one who will might the case: Lionel Hutz

IANAL and I’m always glad to be proven wrong.

4 Likes

Yes please let us know what a lawyer says. Maybe while we’re at it we can start a class action lawsuit against Mercedes for requiring us to make our monthly payments.

2 Likes

I’m starting a class auction lawsuit against BMWFS and all other lessors that don’t let you walk away from your lease at any point, period.

6 Likes

I thought this was a dead topic. But agree with all who say a lawsuit is pointless. Honestly if you find a lawyer who takes your case report him to the Bar Association because he’s stealing your money.

The closest precedent I can think of off the top of my head for this kind of suit would be Kramer suing Java World because “the coffee was too hot”. I think Jackie Chiles would take your case.

56d73409b9bcbb8f01a708896813cb7b

6 Likes

MBFS updated their FAQ, doubt transfers will ever come back.

A transfer is the process of transferring a Mercedes-Benz Financial Services (MBFS) account from the original customer to another qualified individual or business, subject to credit approval. MBFS does not offer vehicle transfers, with the exception of the following circumstances:

• MBFS will accommodate transfer requests for the families of deceased customers who wish to keep the vehicle.
    • MBFS will accommodate requests to transfer Connecticut Lease Contracts as required by law; the original lessee will remain jointly liable under the Lease Agreement.
2 Likes

Case closed. MBFS transfers are dead

2 Likes

They obviously haven’t been served with papers for the class action lawsuit yet.

:clown_face:

6 Likes

All jokes aside, I’m guessing the only material outcome of suing MBFS will be that BMWFS, GMF, etc will decide to stop doing transfers

or maybe it’ll have the opposite effect and deter other companies from doing what MBFS did.

1 Like

I had the same concern on my mind. Which makes me extremely hesitant to lease cars as I’m a serial swapper. I won’t be considering MB again. As I’m presently stuck with a lease that had a buyer ready to takeover.

As for others- I wonder if there’s a way to make the dealer/bank add an addendum that guarantees lease transfers for the life of the contract, as it changes the equation.

Perhaps this should be a law nationwide. Ideally, the joint-liability clause should be removed + a clause could be added in that adds in a that the credit profile of the person taking over should be similar or better than the credit profile of the original lessor at time of signing.

For example, in my case, I’ve been commuting from the suburbs to NYC since the start of the pandemic. Due to the convenience of being out here, I have leased an M4. I planned on keeping the car maybe a year tops. One thing is for sure though, once offices reopen I would not want to keep the car in the city, as there’s no place to drive. I will just list it on swapalease, and part ways. As keeping a car in the city occurs expenses which can be equal to or greater than the monthly payment of the car in the first place. Pair that with the fact you barely have anywhere to drive the car, means that there’s really no point of having one. If it weren’t for the fact BMW lease transfers exist, BMW would not have me as a customer.
Even though many people though end up keeping their leases for the duration of the term, there’s a piece of mind that comes with the ability to transfer out.

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold my breath on getting them to make any changes to the standard lease contract, much less one that significant.

1 Like

If anyone is that worried about MB lease transfers, I have an easily solution for you: Move to Connecticut.

1 Like

It’s easier than dying, that’s for sure

7 Likes

The headache of joint liability? IDK

1 Like