Current tires on my BMW at 4/32 and still 18 months to go. How to play it?

Hi guys,
Just took my BMW for service and the advisor pointed out my run flat tires are at 4/32 and 3/32. I still have about 18 months before my lease expires (this was a demo car so it already had a few miles on it). I usually buy used tires before returning, but given that I am still so far away from turning in, I will need at least to changed them twice if I go with used tires. I can buy brand new ones (4 tires) for ~$600 plus installation. And then probably extend the lease a few months as my monthly payment is really low. Would love to hear your opinion in terms on buying used or just get the new ones and extend the lease if I want to. Is BMW hard on tires at turn-in time? Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

If you don’t value your own safety, at least consider the safety of others on the road and GET NEW TIRES.

9 Likes

This feels like a no brainer. Get new tires. Good tires can save your life.

Take them off and save them for turn in and replace with cheaper non run flats and swap back at end of lease.

2 Likes

I usually take them off with 4/32 and put non runflats on the car until lease return and then i put the other ones back on. The problem is you’re already at 3/32 on some tires which i think is below passable so you would have to replace those regardless. If that’s the case you might as well buy a new set of runflats which will be safer anyway.

Agreed. If below 4/32 (measure yourself at all areas of the tread) then just replace with run flats.

Or cruise ebay for some used tires of the same spec if you aren’t hard of them. Might last long enough till lease turn in.

Thanks to all for their input. I am always surprised by the creativity of other forum members. I will end up ordering new tires as I am planning on extending the lease.

How about letting someone steal the car so you collect on insurance AND do not have to pay disposition fee? That’s the ultimate hack :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think there is still a chance to get rid of your car if you park it in Philadelphia with NE Pats stickers.

6 Likes

I bought used run flats on eBay for under $400 for my 535 m sport.

Can you mix and match RFT’s? This is for a bmw lease return

I don’t think you can mix and match anything.

Used tires are great right before a lease return. But id get new ones with that much time left. Sometimes you can find like new tires here though for 1/2 price

https://m.bestusedtires.com

Why new? Im returning the lease in 2 weeks i just need somethinc acceptable and
cheap

I wonder if these would work LMAO just need to find out if they RFT
https://www.bestusedtires.com/2-used-uniroyal-tig
er-paw-touring-225-45r18-91v-10-11-32-tire-404813-1

I saw the original post 18 months left. Def get used just make sure the leasing company doesn’t have any requirements. I returned an Infiniti without run flats and they didn’t care

BMW just wan’t same specs and run flats.

I did eBay on my F10 lease return. 4 19in Goodyear run flats used for under 400 with shipping!

How many miles does it take to wear down from 4/32 to 3/32? I know many dependents here just asking average miles.