Crystal Ball: Lease or Wait (XC60 T5i vs Forester Touring)

Hello Hackrs,

My wife and I are in the market for a new SUV with a modest monthly payment. Ive had my eye on a XC60 T5i for quite some time. I posted a while ago looking for some alternative suggestions (thank you for those) but I don’t like anything more than the XC (that I’m willing to pay for). However, I did lease my wife a Forester back in 2014 before we got her a Sienna in 2017 when we had our 2nd child. The Sienna is up in September and we don’t feel we need the fan any longer.

I’m interested in a XC60 T5i or a Forester Touring. I love the XC60 but am drawn to the Forester because of the lower monthly payment and somewhat comparable safety features. My question is not, “do you like the Forester vs XC60” (although I’m happy to hear your feedback) but rather do you believe either is a good lease right now or is it better to wait? I understand no one has a crystal ball and factories could shut down tomorrow affecting inventory and pricing so I’m just looking for your thoughts and opinions, especially from the broker/dealers.

I’ve reached out to my broker to request some guidance on pricing but as an example, when I looked at Benedetto’s sheet for a $55k MSRP T5i I see a monthly of $459 and when I look at another broker’s Forester Touring at $35k MSRP I see a monthly of $343. Neither are with taxes and my understanding is Subaru uses Chase and doesn’t accept MSDs. (kind of crazy that a $20k MSRP more expensive vehicle is only $100 less a month - while I can afford the $100 extra a month that’s nice “savings”.

I can always go month-to-month with the Sienna as we only have 19k miles on a 12.5k/36 month lease.

Edit: Something silly but important to me is Black with Brown Leather Interior. Both cars have it but it limits my pool of available cars. Had anyone hacked a good deal while ordering a specific configuration from the dealer or is it only what’s on the lot and can be sourced?

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 2

That’s an awful lot of writing to ask one question and immediately answer it correctly yourself :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol, I know! It’s bad that I’m hoping for some unnatural bit of knowledge. Clearly I’m unable to pull the trigger and hoping something can push me over the edge.

Edit: so if you’re in my shoes what would you do?

Forget the forester exists.

8 Likes

Two statements, two questions. Happy wife, happy life. :grin: Would your wife be happier in the XC60 or the Forester? Practically speaking, since you have kids, both have great safety ratings. Is it worth $119/mo to you to be in a higher end vehicle with more comfort and the bells and whistles?

Are you in your mid to late 60’s with knees problems? Cause that’s the demographic who drive Foresters…

Line up a nice deal on a XC60 with 21ers and roll in style…

1 Like

I’d wait and then hacked XC60 loaner. Black/amber is not very rare, black/brown will be harder to find but still possible if you take new one.
Forester is a good car if you can hack it

He asked for a crystal ball but I can provide crystal balls. (Plural)

You missed the boat on Volvo deals. It was last month. Subarus with chase will always be a meh deal.

So crystal balls say wait.