Credit card Hackr (sign on bonus, maximizing points/miles tips and tricks)

Can you please elaborate on that :blush:

1 Like

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/travel/international-airline-program/index.html

2 Likes

I go through about a 100 cards a year across multiple family members. DAS can be paid with CC depending on the dealer. Lease Payments go via Plastiq.

Paying Cash for flights, gross.

Highly recommend /r/Awardtravel on Reddit and the FAQ if you want to optimize points for travel. Other than taxes and fees, I don’t think my family has paid cash for travel in years.

2 Likes

There tend to be better/more lux options for lounges internationally.
Use the app lounge buddy to plan accordingly.

chase retention offers aren’t really a thing, unfortunately. if you have another chase card which is no annual fee (freedom, freedom flex, freedom unlimited), you can downgrade the CSR to the freedom after doubling dipping the annual $300 credit, and then upgrade your freedom to the CSR. Rinse and repeat for $300x2 credits a year for a $550 AF

2 Likes

I would be pissed if I had to wait that long for Centurion. I have never seen a line at Miami my home airport.

Now that the shop small offer is dead, I don’t recommend the Plat- not worth the AF IMO.

If you can do the spend definitely go for the Cap1 Spark for $3500 or 350k miles. Pair with the Venture X for another 100k and you’ll still be paying less than the Plat (harder to get approved though).

Alternatively take a look at the Chase Inks both the CIC and CIU have a 75k sign up bonus, no AF and won’t show up on your credit report (important if you plan on churning).

1 Like

Great card I got one in my name got the reward then got one in my wife’s name and got the reward. 200K rewards.

1 Like

These last few posts gave me some initiative to ask you guys as experts …

I have been flying (and will continue to do so) to Italy every year to visit my immediate family (mom, etc.) I have always been a United Airlines “afecionados” as had a lot of options from EWR (direct or 1-stop flights to hometown), and was flying weekly for work=status, upgrades, etc.

I don’t fly anymore for work (changed role a few months back), and have a 2y old who now pays full price.

I was checking flights for this summer for 3: $4950 just flights with United. :no_mouth:
Google Flights: $2200 with 1 stop from JFK. No brainer, after even considering the extra headache of JFK with the toddler ($300 RT) Goodbye United.

Question: what’d be a card that I could sign up for now and provide the best benefit/reward for the Italy trip for the future?

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred now and a couple BoA (highest status for extra % on cash back groceries/gas.)

Thanks!

2 Likes

don’t pay annual fees get retention offers

Well, I am no expert. But in my household, we use Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom Flex, and BoA Travel Rewards for travel purposes.

Looking at the new cards, only Capital One Venture X stood out.

How?

10 char

Which Cap1 Spark gives $3500?

Business one does

Keep in mind that’s with $50,000 in spend, so you either need to have a legitimate business with kind of spend or plan on doing manufactured spend w/ Simon mall gift cards & then turn those into money orders back to yourself.

Spark cash plus. The official offer is for 3k but you can get 3.5k by applying through a business manager in branch. Since it’s two points per dollar after the spend you’ll end up with $4.5k which are also transferable to 450k miles.

Of course but they’re not always available

call and say you’re thinking of cancelling the card. ask if there are any offers in lieu of the annual fee or in addition to the fee (points, membership rewards, statement credit, etc.). i’m usually pretty successful but i’m a good bullshitter so take that with a grain of salt.

Is this the same as using Chase Sapphire points if you have Chase Sapphire Reserve? Getting up to 50% more value in point redemption for travel?