Create a Lease Proposal - Always Control the Deal

Basically starting at the top (car, options, MSRP), work through sale price, walk through incentives, walk through lease terms, land at a final number.

I’d say usually by the time we hit the incentives part of the discussion, they hand me off to an SM which can accelerate things.

all just different ways to get to the sales mgr. It’s too much wasted time to deal with low level sales guys who don’t know much and who will ask you every other email/call “when can you be here today to test drive the car?”

Yes, however I still find even when dealing with a Sales Manager, they still prefer/need to be walked to the conclusion. If I just present them with numbers right off the bat, my experience is that they balk and walk away.

Man a lot of you guys encounter some salesman that really make it seem like you guys are climbing a mountain.

I provide any and all info to a client and rarely involve my manager unless its a heat case.

Every dealership is different, that is for sure!

1 Like

you’d be surprised how many sales guys don’t know what MSDs are.

3 Likes

That seems excessive detailed. I can certainly see many dealers not wanting to engage but if that works for you then great.

Most sales people I speak with are pretty clueless about the basics of a lease.

1 Like

In regards to this topic,

I think you can get what you want a lot easier just by counter offering their first pencil with what you are in search of. Whether it be on the internet or in person.

I also feel a lot of this info is based on a certain type of salesperson.

I do not think jumping through these hoops is really necessary.

1 Like

I wish that worked - at least in my area, that is a great way to get them to say no.

i had a guy tell me the other day he doesn’t understand what the purpose of my call is. Asking me if i saw the “special” on their website. And if i saw it, then what’s there to discuss?

4 Likes

I don’t just present the SM with numbers. I explain every number in my proposal but ONLY IF NECESSARY. I never ever say BLAH BLAH if I only have to say BLAH. . The most often asked question is how did I arrive at the sell price. That’s the very first thing (and maybe only thing) that the SM looks at. If there are dealer incentives, I remind them that they have operating support from the OEM. All we’re doing is negotiating sell price, not lease payments.They realize that I know that there is a difference between dealer invoice and dealer cost. I remember years ago that sales people offered to show me their invoice. They seemed very puzzled when I told them not to bother. No one knows dealer cost except the ownership, the accountant, and maybe the GM.
The question is: where is bottom? What is the lowest sell price at which the dealer is willing to sell the vehicle? It depends on supply and demand. I like to research dealer inventory, OEM/customer incentives and base money factors on a monthly basis to get a handle on supply and demand. A lot goes into establishing a sell price and being able to explain it to the SM when necessary.

2 Likes

That made me laugh.

But again, not everyone is a Leasehackr. :rofl:

then were do you set your initial target for sales price before incentives when they ask you?

If you think about it, what is harder?

Giving someone a bottom line quote? or pulling teeth for the next 90-120 minutes over a few dollars.

Which is why I never understand some dealers. People shopping now are affluent buyers, and they know how much things cost, its value, etc.

The internet is a place with endless amounts of information, and its definitely not short of car buying/shopping advice.

1 Like

EXACTLY! Once the SM receives my proposal, that solidifies everything. The SM immediately knows that I know more about leasing that many of his sales associates. Example: I would challenge all NY dealership sales personnel to correctly calculate, using a calculator, NY sales tax when the tax is capped in the lease. The bet here is that few, if any, can do it.

1 Like

Since you’re on the “other side” of the negotiation table as a sales guy, if all the info is out there and the product is the same from one dealer to the next (meaning i can get a silver over black 530i anywhere), what in your opinion will help get a better deal?

1 Like

305Hackr
Trusted Hackr
11m
The question is: where is bottom? What is the lowest sell price at which the dealer is willing to sell the vehicle?

then were do you set your initial target for sales price before incentives when they ask you?

It’s based on my own research. e.g., supply and demand as well as perusing edmunds to see what others claim to have paid. There are a lot of variables that go into establishing the bottom line sell price. I always estimate on the low side. You can always go up in price but never down when negotiating.

1 Like

Honestly,

In my experience, it is all about patience.

If you know what you want is attainable then hold out and stay firm.

Again this would be contingent on the salesperson, some will simply not fold (I guess its a pride thing. I really don’t know.) and others like me, who will squeeze the lemon till there is nothing left.

1 Like

agree with you, sometimes you gotta wait until dealer decides that it is better to sell the car for less than not sell the car at all.

1 Like

This. So much this.

My experience lately with loaners is that some dealers (esp the corp owned ones) have to keep them in inventory for a certain period of time - e.g. 90 days - before they’re willing to hit hackr territory. If it is still there after 90 days, then we start seeing the blowout prices.