Confused how some dealers stay in business

There are some dealers that don’t want to work with you via email.

Actually, Ive had better luck opening the conversation via email and then picking up the phone and making a call after about the second response.

The phone call is when you convert from being another waste of time to an actual human with intentions that the other party can evaluate.

2 Likes

Yes please!!!

1 Like

Balloons sell cars John

3 Likes

:rofl: you sure do have a strange accident for a Michigander :sweat_smile:

Several years ago I was at a business dinner with some Germans and we were sitting across from a Chevy dealer. The entire dinner conversation revolved around that dealership.

Why are the hoods up?! To prove that the engine hasn’t been stolen?

Why are there so many balloons?! Do the children here buy the cars?

Why do they have an inflatable donkey?! Is that what you are given to drive when your car is being fixed?

Why are there so many American flags?! In case people forget what country they live in?

They thought they were soooooo clever.

Edit: it was Feldman in Novi if you know that one. They always have a pretty impressive balloon display.

3 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I got similar treatment from a Mercedes dealer (MB of Encino in Southern California). I found the car in their inventory and couldn’t get a follow up.

Hearing a voice is the second step in commitment but also allows the salesperson to gauge your interest by the tone of your voice and what you respond based on their questions. Proceed with caution as usual.

I talk people into and out of things for a living.

I realize that’s not an actual job description, but that’s how I explain it to my mother in terms she can repeat to her friends.

3 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences with dealers, though not all at the same dealer. I just e-mailed a bunch of dealers about a specific car and out of about 10, I got like 3 responses. 2 said I should come in and 1 gave me some completely outrageous quote.

Not to buck the trend, but honestly it could be. I have gotten some of my better deals at absolutely atrocious dealerships. One can put up with a lot of incompetence for the right price🤪

3 Likes

If you want a salesperson to work for you they need to know one thing. You will take this car home today when the numbers are agreeable. Tell them what you need the deal to be to drive it home now and you will see a change in their behavior. You can’t take delivery through the phone or email and they’re not interested in educating you with shopping figures. Many perceived deals are one only, old inventory, loss leaders designed to promote floor traffic. They mostly don’t want to sell the ad car at the ad deal.
New, used, truck, fleet, wholesale on used, all profit centers but a dealership will live or die in service.

One of dealership I worked at took down their gorilla due to racism remark by salesman.

1 Like

Interesting. I have a general disdain for gimmicky advertising anyway.