Competition for Tesla

Thanks for sharing! I actually hadn’t heard about this, but I’m really happy to see Tesla’s got some competition! Personally, I think the front looks almost as sexy as the Model 3, but the back looks really ugly. :frowning: Not quite sure what they were trying to do there. If this was a competitor for the model 3, I think they’d have a lot more chance at being successful. There’s a lot to live up to when trying to compete with the Model S.

I just looked at the rest of the interior pictures, and the backseat area looks pretty awesome! The bad part though is that it’s only a 4 seater, no option to sit another person in the middle.

I’m confused by your pictures. One is a finished model that shows a great interior. The last one shows a test mule with a Dodge Charger steering wheel and shitty seats. WHICH ONE IS IT?

I believe they’re 2 cars. One is the show car with finished interior, the other is the test mule.

Tesla has been in the game for a while now (and had the benefit of buying an auto production plant without building it from scratch) yet they are and always have been way behind schedule

You could probably finish 2 consecutive leases before this thing arrives in anyone’s driveway.

3 Likes

Also the bar was MUCH lower for options and features to be delivered in a working vehicle when the Model S launched. Tesla has had YEARS to perfect and add features, streamline, etc.

This manufacturer will need YEARS to prove themselves…It’s not simply building a car. It’s supporting it, making spare parts for crashed cars, dealer support network (or direct sales), etc.

Totally agree. Even now, you can come across some bad stories about people having long waits for service or repair parts. Here’s to hoping this won’t be the case with the Model 3.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/07/repairing-my-tesla-model-s-has-been-an-utter-night.aspx
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/5y9y3m/please_allow_me_to_share_my_horror_story_of_my/

1 Like

This is offset by the fact that Tesla open sourcing some of their patents.

https://electrek.co/2015/11/10/a-number-of-companies-are-now-using-teslas-open-source-patents-and-it-has-some-interesting-implications/

But yeah, the car is only one part of the equation. There was actually another company BEFORE Tesla that came out that inspired the guy who found Tesla (Martin Eberhard, not Musk) but they never made it out of the race car mode. This was the pre-cursor to the first Tesla Roadster

Interesting. Tesla’s going to have to step up their game big time with the Model 3. Musk already said they were doubling the number of service centers by the end of 2017. Not sure that will help with the parts situation, but hopefully it’s an indication of them addressing these issues.

…and charging stations network

I-Pace, anyone?

1 Like

Just saw that. 220 miles range, 0-60 4.0 seconds…

The death of the combustion engine is nigh.

Volkswagen AG’s namesake brand will present the concept of a fully electric crossover model in Shanghai next week to challenge Tesla Inc.’s Model X as the German manufacturer gears up to roll out a new zero-emission line-up as of 2020.

That was on Bloomberg. IMHO the chances of vw competing successfully with Tesla are as small as North Korea invading the US

I think one thing that no other EV maker can compete with Tesla against yet is the supercharger network. The Lucid Air looks fantastic, but having to rely on the current network of generic DCFC stations for long trips seems like a huge problem.

It will be a while before we have sexy EV cars other than Teslas…

1 Like

Fisker is coming back

I just don’t get what the hold up is. There must be a reason big car companies aren’t willing to do it that I just don’t understand. Obviously there’s a market out there for good looking, fast, long range EVs, Tesla proved that with their 450k+ deposits!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Tesla competition

there was a 3 year gap between this and the last post in a thread titled ‘competition for tesla’! You can see why the stock is over 1k…

Don’t bump 3 year old threads