Common Leasing misconceptions

:rofl: Why are we comparing buying a car to a magical guaranteed 5% compounded interest investment? I do love the argument of opportunity cost from a false equivalence though :laughing:

5 Likes

I supposed we could have invested the money and commuted by pogo stick.

7 Likes

Donā€™t you have a high horse to commute on? sorry I had to :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

YRMV, My lease payments are paid with dividends. :slightly_smiling_face:

The 1% rule

1 Like

sarsasm on

My lease payments are paid with my gardenerā€™s pocket change. :sunny:

sarcasm off

3 Likes

We arenā€™t retired, so we keep nearly all of our dividend-paying securities in our retirement accounts for tax efficiency.

I wish I could say that everything is optimized for where we are in life, but Iā€™m still learning and working on it.

1 Like

You could have taken these lease payments and invest in more div stocksā€¦shhhā€¦rookie! You just ride the Dow to workā€¦

1 Like

Misconceptions

1. itā€™s any of their business
  2. they actually understand a utility contract where 100% of the risk is on the lender and 0% is on me
  3. they are Suze Orman or my financial planner. See 1 & 2

In my experience, atleast with cars that donā€™t see common typical major repairs, 2-6 years is the sweet spot for owning. Depreciation isnā€™t too bad and no major repairs or maintenance needed, except for the usual brakes + tires. Its typically at the 6-7+ year mark where you see some level of problems show up.

I have a 7.5 years Sonata, which isnā€™t a Toyata or Honda but still. First 5 year repair cost: $0. Last 2.5 years repair cost: $ 320. Total non-oil-change maintenance (60k and 90k): ~500

$21k-9k= $12k over 10 years. Thatā€™s a cost of $100 per month. Find me a lease for that price.
The point is, sometimes buying is better. Sometimes not.

If It Appreciates, Buy It. If It Depreciates, Lease It. -Paul Getty

3 Likes

Yeah. It only took me a few times getting bit by heavy maintenance or resale value drop from a new model coming out to get on board with leasing. Donā€™t get me wrong though, Iā€™ve made money on lightly and heavily used cars as well but overall iā€™d have to say iā€™m even steven.

2 Likes

:laughing::clap:t2::rofl::clap:t2::joy::clap:t2::laughing:

All kittens become cats. As an experiment, perhaps you want to buy it out and report back with the total cost of ownership after 10 years?

If the OP is buying out, I would feel much better if they bought a CPO warranty, and that is just going to add to the cost. Feels like a good time to dust-off this gem: My Range Roverā€™s CarMax Warranty Is Now Half Over And It's Saved Me More Than $6000

$12k over 36 months is $333.33 - thatā€™s a pretty decent lease payment.

I assumed you rolled the dice and said no repairs were needed during these 10 yearsā€¦otherwise your $100 may increase a bit.

1 Like

Those were trismā€™s numbers not mine. Ask him about repairs. Iā€™m just doing the math for you

Aside from oil changes/maintenance, we put one set of tires on it (and there may have been some wiper blades in there somewhere).

I donā€™t remember the exact cost, but remember these are Prius tires. Maybe $400 max, all-in, but I donā€™t think it was even that much.

Plus this car has another 10+ years of frugal vitality left (we sold it at 75k miles). We only got rid of it because I got a new car in June and my spouse wanted to keep our other ancient Toyota product (2008 RX350) instead of the prissy Prius.

1 Like

MotomanTV is one of my favorite enthusiast youtubers and recently posted this comparison of leasing vs buying over 20 year time frame. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwit_dH07-nkAhWTHDQIHXEKBEoQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8hBy-PhvJSI&usg=AOvVaw3jI26DizudE4Xksc5HY-qi

Makes a convincing caseā€¦assuming everyone wants a Pilot, Camry, etcā€¦However, Iā€™m still leasing my next one.

1 Like

Heā€™s not comparing the costs of leasing vs buying. Heā€™s comparing the costs of acquiring a vehicle every 3 years vs every 5 and heā€™s using a brand that notoriously leases poorly.

1 Like

I think the 2 year ā€œdrivershipā€ gap, repairs in years 3/4, and variation in incentives across makes/models are definitely missing.

Still love watching him, even though Iā€™ll be ignoring this advice.

1 Like