Chevy Bolt Lease Vs Purchase - Options?

Hello,

I live in NorCal and my current lease for 2 Bolts Premier 2020-2021 models will finish in March 2023 and April 2023 respectively.

I like the Bolt EUV as a possible replacement. Do you recommend I take any advantage of current programs?

I am a Costco member too and work for a company that is part of GM suppliers.

Thanks for any tip or help on this!

Did you get your batteries replaced under the recall? If not, I recommend calling the EV Concierge and getting the ball rolling on a substitution of collateral into a 2023 EUV ASAP. You won’t be able to beat the purchase price at the end of the lease (your buyout on the current lease).

1 Like

No, I haven’t gotten the batteries replaced. When I called the dealership that I leased it from about the battery recall, they said there is a long waiting list to be fixed and advised to adjust my charging habit to 80% instead of 100%.

Shall I call someone else? Can they replace it with EUV instead of the smaller bolt?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

You’re kinda late to the game at this point but the first step would be to contact the Chevy EV Concierge and complain about the recall wait times, reduced battery capacity, etc. From there you should push for them to help you find a dealer that will let you place an order for a 2023 and host a swap. The key wording is “substitution of collateral”, where they give you the new car and change the VIN on your account and contract. Once completed, you should have the option to buy the new Bolt for the lease buyout price of the old one.

Correction:
I should return the car in March 2024 and not 2023. Am I still late to do this request?

You’re not late in that sense, no. It’s just a matter of whether Chevy/GM are still entertaining these requests. The only way to find out would be to open a case with the EV Concierge.

Go read this thread GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue - #1681 by breity

Look in my post history, I made a post summarizing the process and why you would want to do it.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone here. I initiated the process with GM.
However, they are saying if the battery became available at any moment, they will cancel the trade-in.

Do you know when this may happen? Any news of customers receiving their battery replaced already? Can we reject this if we started the trade-in?

Yes, people have been receiving battery replacements, but quantities are limited so it’s a slow process. No, you can’t reject battery replacement if it becomes available to you. The reason they’re allowing trade-in is because batteries aren’t available… so if they become available then no trade-in.

I was told, the current build will be available by 1st of April. Do you think a battery replacement will be forced by then? Alternative is to select a LT trim instead of Premier trim.

Hi ElectricEliminator! I just learnt about the SOC and my Bolt lease will end in 2 months. Wondering if it is possible to extend the lease and then start SOC? Any suggestion for my case? TNX!

I’m not certain how that would play out at this point. Even with a 6 month extension you probably wouldn’t get a factory ordered new Bolt or EUV in time. You could always ask for the extension and then try to put the claim in but I wouldn’t be surprised if that gets rejected.

1 Like

You have to be okay you will be making extra payments toward your extended lease with no guarantee you will get a swap done.

TNX for reply. Then I guess I buyout the car, wait for battery replacement which resets the battery guaranty and hope for this to improve its resale value.

I am at a risky situation here. My car is already tagged from GM warehouse and in transit to the dealership. However, I received an email from GM that my battery fix is also available!!

I don’t know if I should call GM and inquire or wait until my in-transit car shows up at the dealership and call them to do the swap instead of forcing the battery fix. Any recommendations on how I should approach this with GM?

Thank you in advance for all tips and help here!!

Trade the car for the new one and let the dealer battery swap it and resell the old one.

You have a case open with the EV Concierge already? Did you receive an offer from them yet? If you already got an offer you should be good to go, I don’t think they can make you take the battery at that point. I would just pretend that the battery swap option isn’t even a thing and keep following the repurchase rep’s instructions about swapping the car.

1 Like

I have a case open and they asked me for the dealership who will host the transaction but I havent received any official letter with cost breakdown like I am seeing on the forum.

they just asked me over the phone for the dealership and rep name. The dealership was able to access GM warehouse and send me a link to generate a 6 digit pass so he can tag the car.

I received this attached offer today and clueless to what it means!

Does it say that GM is offering to deposit the prorated amount into a new lease? For example, I can sign up for additional 3 years lease? I thought we were going to do an even swap.

If GM is offering a totally new lease, will current Costco promotion apply? How can I ensure the dealership will not take advantage of this since I am locked with them!

I had XS Wear and Tear added which they are not including in the offer. Anyone has luck asking for it to be added?

Also, what if I hold it until January 2023, can I buy the car and be eligible for the federal tax credit?

Any help will be great!

Did you request a trade repurchase? Or substitution of collateral? I always stressed the term Substitution of Collateral during my discussions with the repurchase rep but this is how my options were presented to me when it was time before I received a formal offer letter: