Check my method. Estimating RV% for Jeep Gladiator trim levels. Quite a spread!

Based off the numbers from the Jeep build your own page I’ve tried to determine RV% for different trims I’m interested in.
Using reverse math(?) I took available numbers from the Jeep site and plugged them into the LH calculator like this:

I optioned the vehicle, went to summary, then to calculate. Set it for zero down, 36 mo, 15k mi yr.
Recorded the cap cost, dealer incentive, and monthly payment.

Then Plugged into LH Calc MSRP (cap+incentive), 0% off MSRP, put dealer incentive into taxed incentives, then worked the RV #s until the payment was within a few dollars of the Jeep monthly payment number.
I did not add tax or dealer fees. Only the 595 acquisition fee. The RVs came out as such:

Rubicon 66.5%
Overland 68.5%
Willys 74.5%

Does this 8% variation between trims seem correct?Would appreciate if someone can confirm my method though even if the actual percentages are off, the variation between trims should be consistent, no?

Thanks!

Having current, accurate information for residual value, money factor, and incentives is important in understanding your deal. As such, going directly to a source that has access to that data from the captive banks is your best option. The forums at Edmunds are where we go to get that information, as they have direct access to it from the captive banks. You’ll want to post in the model specific thread for the vehicle you’re interested in and request the most current numbers for your zip code. It is often easiest to find that thread by searching Google for “Edmunds lease” followed by the model of vehicle you’re interested in.

What are you trying to do? Get the RV? Why not just ask on Edmunds vs estimating?

2 Likes

I did a cursory Google search and came up goose eggs which is why I’ve set about to do what I’ve done then post here and elsewhere.

I also don’t think it’s a particularly bad idea to derive the numbers from the dealer website, no?

Thanks for the point in that direction!

There are way too many variables to try to accurately extract the rv (as evident by the fact that all the rvs you came up with are not whole numbers).

1 Like

If you are going off of dealer or manufacturer advertised lease deals they will usually disclose the residual value in dollars somewhere in the fine print so its not that difficult to determine on your own.

1 Like

Update:

Not an ad.

I’m using the Jeep.com “build-your-own” feature.

I made that clear in the OP.

There is no fine print listing RV or MF values.

I went to Edmunds. They provided RV values for 36/15k as follows:

Rubicon 60%
Overland 62%
Willys 69%
MF .00159

Then I got a dealer to provide them:
Rubicon 63%
Willys 63%
MF . 00117

In some instances Edmunds was as far of as my own estimates from the mfr website. Those who’ve replied here seem very familiar and trusting with Edmunds for accurate info. Has anyone found such deviations? Is the dealer playing shenanigans? (Though they gave 2 points on the Rubicon so that’s doubtful unless they’re trying to steer me in that direction.)

There are so many banks that CJDR uses it’s important to clarify

Chances are Edmunds is listing CCAp exclusively

But there’s ally
Us bank
And credit unions too

2 Likes

Depends on whether you define wasting your time as a bad idea or not.

As stated earlier. Ask: Edmunds for captives. Dealer for non-captives. Can also check the shared Deals and Marketplace sections of LHF.

1 Like

Correct. Edmunds will only give the captive finance money factor & residual value.

1 Like

By captive, you mean dealer?

No. Captive is the vehicle manufacturer’s finance arm. In the case of Jeep, it is Chrysler Capital (CCAP). As it has been mentioned, CJDR dealers tend to also use other banks & credit unions to lease out their vehicles. When you get a quote from a dealer, you should specifically ask what bank they are using as well as the money factor & residual value. Some dealers will mark up the money factor (interest rate) to make some extra money on the deal.

Thanks. I meant to say mfr.
I was quoted .00117 so I don’t think it’s there.
I was assuming they were deflating the RV on the Willys to either make extra on the deal there or steer me to the higher trim.
Is that a possibility?
Reply from the dealer when asked about RV discrepancy:

“Hey…the prime bank lease has the same residual for both…”

Prime meaning ccap?

It’s not

A contract with the incorrect RV will not be funded

1 Like

So the dealer can fudge the money factor but not the residual value?

They can bump the MF to get more rate but they can’t change the set RV for the bank/trim

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.