Cheapest lease deals for my 16 year old niece?

She does not have very much money to spend, she just needs a bare minimum car to get her from point A to point B. Only requirement is to be economical.

Her dad is showing me $6000 13 year old cars with 150k miles like the honda insight, but this just seems like a huge gamble to me. you guys have any insight?

Id be very hesitant to put a 16 year old into a leased vehicle. Dents and scratches are inevitable and can really rack up the damage bill in 3 years.

9 Likes

:rabbit2::doughnut:

3 Likes

i did not even think of thatā€¦

And any new car would cost much more to insure, esp for a 16 y.o.

But you fix them and return the car without having to deal with an old used car and dimished value

2 Likes

Surprised 16yo even drive these days. Thought theyā€™d be busy making tiktok clips.

16 Likes

Most cars built after 2008 are plenty safe (you can still look then up on IIHS), and many are plenty reliable for a teenager. A Gen1 Hybrid is not something Iā€™d put in that category, but a contemporary Civic/Accord might be fine (always get a Pre purchase inspection from a reputable mechanic).

The cheap leases are also on hiatus, and itā€™s a terrible idea to put a teenager in a new car while they are learning to drive, no matter how responsible they are on paper.

2 Likes

Two of my friends got EQS deal for high school kids. It is safe, with certain technology, and the most important not really fastā€¦fully trackable and can enable speed limit anytime :slightly_smiling_face:

This has to be a troll lol

18 Likes

Sheesh, times have changed. I had a beat up VW Jetta with a messed up mass air flow sensor. 0-60 in 2 minutes.

11 Likes

Unless they are LH-kids

6 Likes

Meaning further depreciation?

1 Like

Did you even read the first two sentences of the first post?

1 Like

Why exactly does a 16 year need a car? He or she canā€™t drive it aloneā€¦right?

16 is when one can get their license to drive aloneā€¦

3 Likes

You get a permit at 16,no? and then wait 6 months (or your 18th birthday which the dmv reccomends as thatā€™s when they take off restrictions) and take the road test. Still canā€™t drive alone until 18

1 Like

Permit at 15, license at 16

2 Likes

For what state is that sir?

As bad as excess wear charges will be, this is arguably an even bigger expense and headache.

Definitely go the used route, but not anywhere near $10,000. Thatā€™s still a lot of depreciation left, depending on what you buy.

Aim for sub $4,000

For example

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/mohegan-lake-1999-buick-lesabre-custom/7621076457.html

1 Like